VDProj to WiX Converter IconExtractor error

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

VDProj to WiX Converter IconExtractor error

Brad Clements

I used VDProj to Wix Converter on a project that includes multiple configurations (Debug, Release, DebugU, etc.). We don't use the DebugU configuration any more, and it hadn't been built on my workstation. After running the converter, whenever I try to build the Wix project I get the following error in the Visual Studio Error List window:

Error 1 VDProj to WiX Converter error: IconExtractor error. Specified file 'C:\src\ne\neWebCl\DebugU\neWebCl.dll' not found.

This message was correct at the time I ran the converter; the dll did not exist because I hadn't built that configuration of the base project. Since then I have done a build with that configuration and that dll now exists. But I still get this error every time I build the Wix project. The date/time shown for this error is the date and time when I ran the converter, not when I built the Wix project. It seems like this error got recorded at the time the converter ran and it gets echoed every time I build the project. How can I clear this out?
Posted 20 Jan, 2015 10:11:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Brad,

What happens if you double-click on this error in the Error List? What the project do you see in the 'Project' column of the error?
Posted 22 Jan, 2015 09:14:31 Top
Brad Clements

The error went away. I'm not sure what caused that to happen. It might have been shutting down Visual Studio and then restarting it. But now the project builds successfully with no errors.
Posted 22 Jan, 2015 10:51:32 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Brad,

Please keep an eye on it and let us know if you run into this issue once again. If this is a bug then we will need to reproduce it.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 23 Jan, 2015 03:38:05 Top