WiX Designer - User Interface Designer

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

WiX Designer - User Interface Designer
WiX setup project created from addin project not working. 
Mads

Hi,

I have created a WiX setup project for my Office addin project, using the wizard, but i'm not able to modify the dialogboxes shown during installation. If I add a dialog I get a "Duplicate symbol 'DialogFilesInUse' found in FilesInUse.wxs. I don't need to show the End-user license agreement.

--
Mads
Posted 11 Aug, 2014 06:13:29 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mads,

What product did you use to create the setup project? What version/build of that product did you use?

Do you know a way for us to reproduce the issue?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 11 Aug, 2014 06:35:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Mads,

It was a hasty question. We've understood what causes the issue and reproduced it.

Add-in Express creates UI dialogs using the built-in dialog set. To avoid using it, please delete the reference WixUIExtension, see the References section of the WiX setup project. Then you need to comment out or delete the following tags:

<UIRef Id="WixUI_InstallDir" />
<UIRef Id="WixUI_ErrorProgressText" />

Now, you can use WiX Designer to customize the dialogs provided by your setup project.

As to the "Duplicate symbol 'DialogFilesInUse' found in FilesInUse.wxs" message this occurs because there are compulsory dialogs. They are added both by the built-in dialog set and by WiX Designer. Deleting the reference and commenting out the tags above removes the dialogs added through the built-in dialog set and thus solves this problem.

Please let me know if the above helps.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 11 Aug, 2014 06:56:07 Top
Mads

Hi,

Removing the lines below worked, thanks.

<UIRef Id="WixUI_InstallDir" />
<UIRef Id="WixUI_ErrorProgressText" />

--
Mads
Posted 12 Aug, 2014 08:13:18 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Posted 12 Aug, 2014 08:23:46 Top
Mads

Hi,

This seems to give another problem. If I move the target directory from "Program Files Folder" to "Application Folder" and set the DefaultLcation of that folder to "[LocalAppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]" and buld the project I get the error below. I have 3 other installers (not Office addin's) set the same way and they work.
I know about google, but we bought WiX designer to avoid spending to much time learning WiX.

The Component/@Directory attribute cannot be specified when the Component element is nested underneath a Directory element

--
Mads
Posted 14 Aug, 2014 09:41:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mads,

I would need to reproduce this. Could you please list the steps that end with this problem?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Aug, 2014 09:53:00 Top
Mads

Hi

- Right click on a ADX Project, select Create Setup Project.
- Finish the guide :)
- Remove <UIRef Id="WixUI_InstallDir" /><UIRef Id="WixUI_ErrorProgressText" /> in Project.wxs
- Create a custom interface using the User Interface Editor
- In the ViX designer select File System Editor
- Set the value of DefaultLocation of "Application Folder" to "[LocalAppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]"
- Drag the files from "Program Files Folder" to "Application Folder".
- Build the installer.

The error is: The Component/@Directory attribute cannot be specified when the Component element is nested underneath a Directory element

In the code: <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
<Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
</Directory>
<Component Id="ProductComponent" Guid="a0088ef1-6292-477c-981e-cb2e13596c12" DiskId="1" Directory="INSTALLFOLDER">
<RegistryKey Root="HKLM" Key="Software\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]">
<RegistryValue Type="string" Name="Installed" Value="[INSTALLFOLDER]" />
</RegistryKey>
Posted 14 Aug, 2014 10:05:56 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mads,

Thank you for the bug report. We will fix the bug in the next build of WiX Designer. Please try to delete the "Program Files Folder" before building, as far as I can see, it is empty.
Posted 14 Aug, 2014 11:19:33 Top
Mads

Hi

Do you know anything about when the next version will be released?

--
MK
Posted 15 Aug, 2014 04:59:28 Top