Bin/heat.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Bin/heat.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command
wixproj build fails trying to execute heat 
Rich Strazdas

The full error is
"Bin\heat.exe" project "ABC.vbproj" -projectname "ABC" -pog Binaries -gg -sfrag -nologo -out "obj\\Debug\Harvested XML\_ABC.xml"
'"Bin\heat.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

The offending line in wixproj is
<Exec Command="&quot;$(Wix)Bin\heat.exe&quot; file &quot;%(ResolvedCOMFilelist.Identity)&quot; -sw -gg -sfrag -nologo -srd -out &quot;$(IntermediateOutputPath)Harvested XML\_%(Filename).com.xml&quot;" IgnoreExitCode="false" WorkingDirectory="$(MSBuildProjectDirectory)" Condition="'%(ResolvedCOMFilelist.Identity)'!=''" />

Does the $(Wix) path need to be defined somewhere? It's not defined in wixproj.

Background: I purchased the vdproj-to-WiX converter to import a customer's VS 2010 setup project into VS 2012. It converted without error, but building the setup project fails.

Thanks for any assistance.
-Rich
Posted 13 Jun, 2014 12:24:20 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Rich,

$(Wix) is an internal WiX variable that specifies the path to the WiX installation folder. This variable is available in all WiX version and it seems strange that it is missing. What WiX version are you using? Do you have a stable build installed? You can try to re-install it.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 Jun, 2014 03:45:58 Top
Rich Strazdas

Andrei, everything you say makes sense, but reinstalling didn't help.

I repaired with wix38.exe and vdproj-to-wix-v106-b131-vs-std\setup.exe, but got the same error.
I removed and reinstalled both wix38 and vdproj-to-wix, but got the same error.
I tried editing .wixproj $(Wix) to $(WiX), $(WIX), $(wix), but got the same error.

Finally I hard coded $(Wix) to "C:\Program Files\WiX Toolset v3.8\bin", and that worked.

It's not a satisfying solution, but I'm moving forward.

-Rich
Posted 16 Jun, 2014 12:09:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Rich,

It seems this is a problem in WiX. At http://wixtoolset.org/issues/4078/, someone describes the same issue but they are unable to reproduce it. Neither do we.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 17 Jun, 2014 02:36:12 Top