vbproj to WiX: "could not access network location" error

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

vbproj to WiX: "could not access network location" error
Receive "could not access network location" error when running setup generated from converted project 
Daniel vom Saal

Just purchased the vdproj to WiX converter and (seemingly) successfully converted our setup project. The new WiX project compiles and runs fine on the development machine. When I move the setup objects to a new target machine and run the setup.exe I get "could not access network location: \(product)" as an error message. (product) is the name of our product, and is set to the TARGETVDIR in the setup files.

Any idea what this message means or what it is really looking for? It's got to be coming from the helper dll, as it doesn't exist in any of the readable files in the project.

Thanks!
Posted 10 Jan, 2014 11:22:08 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the detailed description. As far as I understand you have a web-setup project. If it is so, please have a look at the DIRCA_TARGETDIR custom action, this action initializes the target folder where your files will be installed:

<!-- Initialize the 'TARGETDIR' directory property. -->
<CustomAction Id='DIRCA_TARGETDIR' Property='TARGETDIR' Value='[IISROOT][TARGETVDIR]' Execute='firstSequence' />

I suppose the [IISROOT] property is not initialized. Please verify the PathWWWRoot registry value exists in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InetStp registry key on the target machine.

Does the target machine have IIS installed?
Posted 13 Jan, 2014 03:34:31 Top
Daniel vom Saal

That value does exist, but it is set to %SystemDrive%\inetpub\wwwroot. That does not correctly reflect that the installation directory has been changed to E:\ - does that matter?
Posted 13 Jan, 2014 09:41:05 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Daniel,

Do you have the PathWWWRoot registry value on your machine? Also, please check the 32-bit registry key as well:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\InetStp

Is it possible for you to send your converted WiX project to me? I will try to find the cause of the issue.
Posted 14 Jan, 2014 03:31:50 Top