Confused on SecurityManager's registration

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Confused on SecurityManager's registration

stwxy75

Hi,

I have a 64bit only application, so I have read the manual and created a WIX installer which copies secman64.dll to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Outlook Security Manager ...
I have now for hours tried to implement a regsvr32 routine in my WIX installer but failed, some information in the internet is indicating that this is not possible because the installer MSI is 32bit ...

Nethertheless I have just tried my installer and everything seems to work fine ...
Can it be that SecurityManager is trying to register itself (e.g. by using the SecurityManager.SecManRegisterServer64 method??).

What is this method for (SecurityManager.SecManRegisterServer64) ... it is not really documented ...

Regards & thanks for clarification ...
Stefan
Posted 03 Oct, 2013 14:08:49 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Stefan,

You need to register secman64.dll at install time. Calling SecManRegisterServer64 is not recommended. Actually, this method is a non-supported remnant of earlier approaches that we used in our code. We may delete this method in subsequent releases.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 04 Oct, 2013 08:02:21 Top
stwxy75

But why does it work?
Before including secman64.dll in the installer (which is copied to Common Files) I received the typical security dialog in Outlook ...

???

Regards
Stefan
Posted 04 Oct, 2013 08:45:04 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Stefan,

I suppose that what you see is a result of the code which finds the copy of secman.dll in the current folder. This code is being tested now. We are going to introduce a new feature based on this code; the feature will allow using secman.dll without registering it.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 07 Oct, 2013 08:06:50 Top