Outlook adding custom apointment properties ICAL

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook adding custom apointment properties ICAL
How to add a custom property to an appointment and give all outlook client invitees access to the new property  
mike vassilopoulos

Hi,

We have developed and outlook add-in that integrates to our conferencing/collaboration solution. We need to save out conference ID with the Outlook Appointment and have the ID available on all invitees calendars. Right now we use user properties to store our conference ID's and place the ID in the body of the message so our add-in can identify what conference ID is associated with our meeting. We had to place a hidden ID in the body due to the fact that the user properties for the meeting are only available to the user creating the meeting and not part of the invite. Having the conference ID in the body is a bit cumbersome to sync and query the meeting. Also I realize that ICAl plays an important role in that the content of the ICAL message sent to an invitee populates the invitees Calendar.
My questions are the following:
Is there a way I can create a custom property for an appointment (not the user we do that now) that will send with the ICAL attachment and thus publish the property to all outlook recipients of the ICAL message?
Can I set the UID of the appointment to my conference ID within my application? , my research discourages this idea.
Bottom line is that I need a way of setting a custom property for the appointment that will be to all invitees. The only solution I have it to set a hidden string in the HTML text of the body and set a user property for the creator of the appointment.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted 20 Feb, 2013 07:50:08 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Mike,

Do your recipients "inhabit" the same Exchange organization? I've just tested this scenario:
- create a meeting request,
- add a UserProperty to the AppointmentItem.UserProperties collection,
- send the request
- on the receiver end, retrieve the AppointmentItem via MeetingItem.GetAssociatedAppointment(False)

And the AppointmentItem contains the UserProperty for me. Do I need to test some other scenario?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 20 Feb, 2013 10:30:04 Top
mike vassilopoulos

Thanks for the quick reply, need to resolve this last issue soon.

Do your recipients "inhabit" the same Exchange organization? YES

--------------------------------------------------------
Also did you user two different exchange email addresses.

Also I read this which would indicate that there may be an issue:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlookdev/thread/147deaa7-b362-4793-9c8c-432d3f6fe0c0/
Posted 20 Feb, 2013 11:12:01 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Mike,

We created an AppointmentItem in Outlook 2010 SP1. It was Outlook 2013 on the receiver end. It was the same Exchange organization. Email addresses were different.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 21 Feb, 2013 04:51:24 Top