Strange behavior when install Explorer bar on IE9, window 7 64 bits

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Strange behavior when install Explorer bar on IE9, window 7 64 bits

Phuong Nguyen

HI Support Team,

I created a new 2011 add-on project with a toolbar and explorer bar and install on a fresh Window 7 (64 bits), i check both toolbar and explorer bar 'load at startup'. After install the add-on, I open IE 9 browser but I only see the toolbar, not explorer bar. I check 'add-on manager' but I did not see 'explorer bar' there at all. I close the browser and restart it, now I see the explorer bar. So in brief, in 64 bits Window 7 (IE9), explorer bar will not show on the 1st time install until you restart IE browser twice. Did you see this problem on your side?

Thanks,
Phuong
Posted 21 Aug, 2011 21:01:49 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Phuong,

I managed to reproduce the issue. But I am afraid that it is by design in IE9. As you can see, when you register the add-on (with toolbar and explorer bar) for the first time, IE prompts you to enable the toolbar only. If you press 'Enable', IE loads the toolbar.
The rest of extensions (add-on and bar) are loaded after restart.
As a solution, you can use different projects for the toolbar and bar.
Posted 22 Aug, 2011 05:06:42 Top
Phuong Nguyen

HI Sergey,

Unfortunately my project I need to communicate between Toolbar and Sidebar so I could not put them in separate project. I think this has something to do with supporting both 32 and 64 bit IE browser on 64 bits system. I had an old add-on (2009 add-on express) which only support 32 bits IE browser and it can start both Toolbar and Sidebar at the same time.

Thanks,
Phuong
Posted 22 Aug, 2011 07:32:51 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Phuong.

Do you mean that IE 9 shows two popup windows to start toolbar and bar separately when you install the old add-on?

Please check the code of the old add-on. Probably you just run the explorer bar using the 'ShowBrowserBar' method.

Unfortunately my project I need to communicate between Toolbar and Sidebar...

The toolbar and explorer bar can communicate with each other using the GetModulesByTypeName method.
Posted 22 Aug, 2011 10:34:50 Top
Phuong Nguyen

Hi Sergey,

It is the same code base that I migrate from old add-on 2009 to 2011. I did not change anything. Below are the differences

1. Old Add-on (2009): as soon as I opened IE9 browser 1st time, I saw both Toolbar and Sidebar open automatically
2. Add-on (2011): as soon as I opened IE9 browser 1st time, I only saw Toolbar opened automatically. I have to restart IE browser one more time to be able to see Sidebar opened.

Thanks,
Phuong
Posted 22 Aug, 2011 17:52:48 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Phuong, I managed to reproduce the same behaviour with ADX 2011. You just need to have the bar and toolbar visible in IE9 before you uninstall the add-on. Then, when you install the add-on next time, the explorer bar will be shown together with the toolbar.
Nevertheless, you will have to restart IE9 because the add-on is not started until you press 'Enable' in the IE9 popup window.
Posted 23 Aug, 2011 05:12:59 Top