Click Twice launches Firefox...?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Click Twice launches Firefox...?

David Sickmiller

Hi,

I setup my first deploy using Click Twice today, and an odd thing happened... I use IE9 to browse to the top-level setup.exe file, as specified. After clicking through the various SmartScreen warnings, Firefox popped up, attempting to download my add-on's installation EXE. (I believe all my pre-reqs were already installed.) This is weird because I was using IE.

I'm guessing this might have something to do with Firefox being my default browser. However, I found this confusing and suspect it will also confuse users. It makes it very hard to write accurate installation instructions.

Is there a way to avoid this with Click Twice? Or another installation method I should consider?

Thanks,
David
Posted 15 Aug, 2011 00:57:39 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi David.

If the default browser is FireFox, IE delegates the command to the default browser.
We can't change this behavior in our code.

We will add the LaunchUpdates method to the next version of the product. The method will not require the browser at all. However you will not able to install updates with prerequisites. The method will only support the ClickTwice downloader.
Posted 15 Aug, 2011 06:20:55 Top
David Sickmiller

Hi Sergey,

It would certainly be great to streamline installation. I recently counted it, and with IE as the default browser, the sequence for installing my toolbar in IE9 is:
* Click download link
* Click Run
* Click Actions
* Click Run anyway
* Click Run
* Click Actions
* Click Run anyway
* Click on prompt about IE already running
* Close IE
* Click Next
* Click Next
* Click Next
* Click Close
* Click Enable

14 steps is quite long. It'd be longer if the system was missing pre-reqs or if my code wasn't signed. I think once I have more downloads, the two SmartScreen steps will go away.

Thanks,
David
Posted 15 Sep, 2011 02:14:50 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi David.

I agree with you. But the same issue is related to any other executables. We will search for a solution in the next build.
Posted 16 Sep, 2011 09:51:21 Top