Publish ADX Error: SignTool Error: Signtool requires CAPICOM version 2.0.0.1 or higher

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Publish ADX Error: SignTool Error: Signtool requires CAPICOM version 2.0.0.1 or higher
Unable to Publish project ADX due to an error message 
Rabbit

I was reading the guide on "Web Deployment and Updates" at the site, which looked ideal for add-on updates, but when I try to follow the instructions and select to Publish the ADX Project I get the error:

SignTool Error: Signtool requires CAPICOM version 2.0.0.1 or higher. Please
     copy the latest version of CAPICOM.dll into the directory that contains
     SignTool.exe. If CAPICOM.dll exists, you may not have proper
     permissions to install CAPICOM.

I have tried reinstalling the Windows SDK to ensure SignTool is up to date and reinstalling the latest Capicom, I have copied CAPICOM.dll into every directory that contains Signtool, and made sure the Windows 7 Ultimate x86 development machine has all its Windows Updates installed, but I still get the error message.

Does anyone know how I might resolve the problem please?
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 08:19:54 Top
Rabbit

Edit: Nevermind, I found the solution in the forums, which was just re-registering the capicom dll.
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:14:23 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Good news, Rabbit!

Thank you for letting us know and good luck with your add-on project!
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:17:23 Top
Rabbit

As another quick question on the topic, when you publish the ADX, what is the publishing location and installation url please?

If I wanted to publish the files to c:\myadd\ and then upload them to say www.myaddon.com/install/ with the user install directory still as the Program Files location.

Would the publishing location be c:\myadd\ and the installation url as www.myaddon.com/install/ or have I got the terms wrong?

Its just whenever I put in an installation url and click Publish Visual Studios 2010 crashes and restarts :/
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:21:11 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Rabbit,

The full installation Url will be
'http://www.myaddon.com/install/<local Id>/<version>/<AddinAssemblyName.exe>'.
Also please read the following article:
http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/04/09/clicktwice-msi-web-deployment/
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:33:51 Top
Rabbit

Ah thank you. The Web Deployment method with updates certainly seems ideal.

In the example on http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2010/04/15/msi-deployment-publishing-application/ the installation url links to the root directory and not the latest executable file though?

Unfortunately VS2010 still seems to crash when I put anything into the Installation url field and then Publish.
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 09:54:14 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

The actual values depend on your add-in. The Url is described in the 'Add-in Express 2010 MSI-based web deployment' article.

Unfortunately VS2010 still seems to crash when I put anything into the Installation url field and then Publish.

Do you run VS in the 'As Administator' mode?
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 10:06:05 Top
Rabbit

Ah, I missed that section further down. Thank you for the information.

I am running as admin, bit it seems to publish without crashing when that field is empty so I will just leave it blank.
Posted 08 Feb, 2011 11:10:51 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Do you mean the Installation Url field of the Publish wizard?
You can send me a project for testing if you wish. I will check it.
Posted 09 Feb, 2011 10:32:43 Top
Rabbit

That you for the kind offer, I might do that.

In the mean time I began adding in the required code described on page 3 of the link (for Add-in Express 2010 Standard with VS2010) but when I include:

if (this.IsMSINetworkDeployed() && this.IsMSIUpdatable()) 
{
   string updateUrl = this.CheckForMSIUpdates();

I get the errors:

'MyAddon.IEModule' does not contain a definition for 'IsMSINetworkDeployed'

'MyAddon.IEModule' does not contain a definition for 'IsMSIUpdatable'

'MyAddon.IEModule' does not contain a definition for 'CheckForMSIUpdates'

Should I be using a different object for this if I am running the code on load instead of following a button click? or is the error elsewhere please?
Posted 09 Feb, 2011 15:17:56 Top