Memory leaks

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Memory leaks

Vladimir Lvov

This is a pre-sale question. I do not have your software yet.

I developed an IE add-on that uses .Net generated interop wrappers for SHDocVw and mshtml. There are some unmanaged memory leaks in interop dlls that affect IE after a few hundred pages. The IE starts to cancel all navigation requests sent from the address bar.

Does the Add-in-express library has any advantages over WebBrowserClass wrapper when it comes to memory management? Do you have any tools to profile unmanaged code memory leaks?

Thank you
Posted 27 Jan, 2011 16:34:48 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Vladimir,

It would be a bit incorrect to compare the WebBrowser control and Add-in Express for IE.
Add-in Express is a tool for developing IE add-ons/extensions. While the WebBrowser control is usually used in standalong applications to host the web browser.
We have never been reported about memory leaks in our product. Anyway, when any issues emerge, we fix them as soon as we can.
Posted 28 Jan, 2011 07:41:04 Top
Vladimir Lvov

Thank you, Sergey.

I am not referring to WebBrowser control which is a part of .Net library. I want to compare your tool with http://www.codeproject.com/KB/shell/dotnetbandobjects.aspx and SHDocVw interfaces which I use to get access to Internet Explorer events and DOM model. While BandObject works fine, the interoperability wrapper generated by VS for SHDocVw.dll has memory leaks. That is why I asked if use this wrapper.
Posted 28 Jan, 2011 09:30:56 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Vladimir.

How can I reproduce the issue with the interop assembly? Probably you have any sample code.
Posted 31 Jan, 2011 09:32:48 Top