Which IE SDK Components Not Supported?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Which IE SDK Components Not Supported?

Mike Weaver

I understand from a private exchange with Support and from a May 2010 post by ChrisX81 that Add-in Express for Internet Explorer doesn't support viewers/players/content plug-ins. I'm curious what specific parts of the IE SDK weren't incorporated / would be required to support this functionality? Why did you decide not to support these components and do you plan to do so at some point? More generally, while the site does a wonderful job of indicating what is supported in the IE SDK, could you provide some sort of list of what is not supported?

Thanks so much,

Mike
Posted 24 Jul, 2010 02:16:13 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

Add-in Express supports all parts of the IE SDK related to developing BHO, toolbars and explorer bars. As for the rest of the functionality, you need to develop it yourself.
Posted 26 Jul, 2010 07:29:20 Top
mjweaver

Thanks, Sergey.

I believe your response is getting to what I was trying to clarify. I have the code to access and display the files that I am interested in; I use it successfully in other applications. I need to incorporate this code into an IE ActiveX / plugin viewer. It is my understanding - admittedly incomplete - that IE viewers are specific types of BHOs. If I am correct, can Add-In Express for IE provide the ENTIRE framework for the IE plugin viewer as long as I can provide the file access and graphics portions? If it cannot, what functionality is missing, implying that I will need to develop my own code for it?

To put it more concretely, say I wanted to develop a clone of the Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader IE plugins and I had the PDF rendering code. What functions could Add-In Express for IE provide and what would I need to code myself.

Bottom line is that I would VERY much like to use Add-In Express for IE, but I need to know what functions you can provide and what I'd need to develop on my own so that I can assess how much value you bring to our project. I'm not quite understanding why you're saying that Add-In Express can't support my and ChrisX81's needs.
Posted 28 Jul, 2010 12:25:18 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mike.

At the moment, Content Extensions are not implemented by Add-in Express. Add-in Express implements Browser Extensions only.

Please visite the following web page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa741309(v=VS.85).aspx
Posted 29 Jul, 2010 08:14:06 Top
mjweaver

Thanks, Sergey. I understand much better now. I appreciate your patience.
Posted 29 Jul, 2010 11:21:26 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

You are welcome, Mike.
Posted 29 Jul, 2010 11:32:21 Top