Problem with ADX for IE on Win 7 Home Premium x64

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problem with ADX for IE on Win 7 Home Premium x64

Muller Stephan

Hi,
I have substantial trouble with ADX .net for IE :cry:.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and Visual Studio .net 2008 Prof. Edition and IE 8.0.7600.16385

However for some reason it does not work as on my x86 machine with Win Vista and VS 2008 .net that I had before.

I did the following:
- Work with administrator rights to ensure this is not the problem
- Create a new ADX .net IE Addon project with default settings except for language VB .net
- Add a command to the tools menu with all default settings
- Add the following code:
    Private Sub AdxieCommandItem1_OnClick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal htmlDoc As System.Object) Handles AdxieCommandItem1.OnClick
        MessageBox.Show("Test")
    End Sub

- Set
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

as debugging application
- Compile & register ADX project

Problem #1
Now when I run IE, I see my button labeled AdxieCommandItem1. However when I click it, I do not get a message box. Instead IE looses & regains focus immidiately, nothing happens.

Problem #2
When I click the start button in VS .net, Internet Explorer starts but immidiately hangs and does not respond. I have to end it with the Stop button in VS .net.

What I've already tried
- Unregister, compile new and reregister
- Stop all iexplore.exe instances via Task Manager
- Use
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
as debugging application. However that does not work since I only get the message "debugging could not be started" when clicking the start button in VS .net.

Problem #3
When the add-in is registered an I launch a folder (i.e. launch Windows Explorer), i get the following error message:

Detailed technical information follows:
---
Date and Time: 10.04.2010 11:09:30
Machine Name: ANWENDER-PC
IP Address: fe80::b8c3:712e:66a3:3510%11
Current User: Anwender-PC\Anwender

Application Domain: DefaultDomain
Assembly Codebase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/AddinExpress.IE/6.1.368.0__4416dd98f0861965/AddinExpress.IE.dll
Assembly Full Name: AddinExpress.IE, Version=6.1.368.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4416dd98f0861965
Assembly Version: 6.1.368.0
Assembly Build Date: 06.04.2010 18:04:56

Exception Source: AddinExpress.IE
Exception Type: System.ApplicationException
Exception Message: Can't create a subclass for the InternetToolbarHost window.
Exception Target Site: ADXIEModule_DownloadBegin

---- Stack Trace ----
AddinExpress.IE.ADXIEModule.ADXIEModule_DownloadBegin()
AddinExpress.IE.dll: N 0896 (0x380) IL

Do you have any idea what I may have done wrong? Or is it possibly a bug on x64 systems...?

Thanks in advance for your answer
Stephan
Posted 10 Apr, 2010 04:17:03 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Stephan.

Do you use the latest version of the adxloader.dll and adxloader64.dll files in your project?
Posted 12 Apr, 2010 12:06:22 Top
Muller Stephan

Hi Sergey,
yes, i checked back, I'm using 6.1.368.

Kind Regards
Stephan
Posted 13 Apr, 2010 14:44:12 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Stephan.

The latest version of the loader 6.0.3037. Please check it in Windows Exprorer.
Posted 14 Apr, 2010 11:10:35 Top
Muller Stephan

Hi Sergey,
I'm sorry that was the ADX IE version. IE also has the latest version 6.0.3037.

If neccessary I can set up a remote desktop connection for you, so that you can check on my computer yourself (however my UI is all-German :| ). I'll e.g. be here tomorrow from 7 pm GMT +1 or Friday after 3 pm.

Please let me know what I should do or if you need the remote connection set up.

Kind Regards
Stephan
Posted 14 Apr, 2010 12:17:45 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Stephan.

>>Problem #1
You need to check the 'Allow active content to run in files on My Computer' option in the 'Internet Options' dialog in IE8.

>>Problem #2
To debug your project in IE8 you need to use the 'Attach To Process' feature of Visual Studio (Debug->Attach to Process...).

>>Problem #3
Most likely the add-on was registered without the loader. Please unregister the add-on and run Windows Explorer.
Do you get this error now? If no, please try to create another add-on and register it. Does the error appear again?
Posted 15 Apr, 2010 10:18:10 Top
Muller Stephan

Hi Sergey,
thanks, your solution to problem #1 brought me one stop further.

>> Problem #1: You need to check the 'Allow active content to run in files on My Computer' option in the 'Internet Options' dialog in IE8.

It worked - I can now compile the project and register it, and my add-on will work in IE. I have a question to deployment there though: Do I have to instruct my users how to activate this options, or is that done automatically by the setup project?

>>Problem #2: To debug your project in IE8 you need to use the 'Attach To Process' feature of Visual Studio (Debug->Attach to Process...).

I don't have that options on the debug menu, however I chose it from the Tools menu. When I attached the solution to IE, nothing changed - I tried updating my test message box text as well as setting a break point, but neither had effect on IE.

When I tried debugging the app on my old computer, I simply set iexplore.exe in the Debug->Properties view of my project (just like you do in the example video). Does that not work with IE8 or Win7 (before I used Vista) anymore?

Thanks for your reply, I am looking forward to getting the last issue fixed .-)

Kind Regards
Stephan
Posted 17 Apr, 2010 00:16:44 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hi Stephan,

On the Debug tab of your project properties, specify the path to iexplore.exe in the Start External Program filed AND "about:blank" or any desired URL in the Command Line Arguments field.

Does this help?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 19 Apr, 2010 05:12:51 Top
Muller Stephan

Hi Andrei,
that did fix the "debugging could not be started" error message, but unfortunately IE still opens w/out loading my plugin.

Interesting is that when I run debugging and start IE after that, the bar is also not loaded. However when I register the plugin again (without starting debugging), it is loaded by IE again and working fine.

So currently I am able to develop but not debug plugins :|

Kind Regards
Stephan
Posted 20 Apr, 2010 10:32:41 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Stephan.

I would advise you to use 'Attach to process' option. It works well in any cases (Debug->Attach to Process...).
Posted 20 Apr, 2010 10:41:22 Top