Installation of Toolbar

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Installation of Toolbar

Harald Holzmann

Hello,

welcome back from your holiday :)

I have a problem with the installation process of my toolbar (with broker app). I created a Setup project as described in adxie.pdf with the first version (Visual Studio Installer in VS 2010, 2013, 2015, and 2017. This tool is built in VS 2010. For VS 2013 .....). Everything lookes good in the setup project. I have already tried to install it on a vista image (with ie 10 where it works). But on Windows 10 machines with IE11 it is not working. I can install the installer successfully, also the directory is created. But when i open the IE, the toolbar and Broker-App is not listed under Add-Ons.

You can find the installer here: https://varioous.at/files/comdirect_bonus_radar_v_0_2.zip

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017 Version 15.3.5 with Add-in Express for Internet Explorer and .NET v9.6.6130.

Any ideas or how to solve that problems?

User added an image

In the Build Process i always get:
WARNING: File 'adxloader64.dll' targeting 'x64' is not compatible with the project's target platform 'x86'

Thanks for your help and support,
Harald
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 02:48:19 Top
Harald Holzmann

Hello,

an update: The installer creates two files:
- MehrwerkToolbarSetup(1.0.0).msi
- setup.exe

If i run the setup.exe it is working. If i run the msi it is not working as described above.

The problem is, if i run the setup.exe on a computer other than mine, i get:

Fehler bei der Installation von "C:\Users\holzm\Desktop\asdf\MehrwerkToolbarSetup(1.0.0).msi":
"No application is associated with the specified file for this operation. "

Weitere Informationen finden Sie in der Setup-Protokolldatei unter "C:\Users\holzm\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD795A.tmp\install.log".

This file says:
The following properties have been set:
Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
Property: [InstallMode] = HomeSite {string}
Property: [NTProductType] = 1 {int}
Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
Property: [VersionNT] = 10.0.0 {version}
Launching Application.
Will attempt to elevate process.
Running command 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe' with arguments ' -I "C:\Users\holzm\Desktop\asdf\MehrwerkToolbarSetup(1.0.0).msi" '
ShellExecuteEx failed with error code 1223
Will attempt to elevate process.
Running command 'C:\Users\holzm\Desktop\asdf\MehrwerkToolbarSetup(1.0.0).msi' with arguments ''
ShellExecuteEx failed with error code 1155
Error: Fehler bei der Installation von "C:\Users\holzm\Desktop\asdf\MehrwerkToolbarSetup(1.0.0).msi":
"No application is associated with the specified file for this operation. "

Thanks for your help!
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 03:00:30 Top
Harald Holzmann

Hello,

another update: If i run setup.exe as administrator everything works perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Harald
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 03:07:56 Top
Harald Holzmann

Hello,

so now i have the solution. If you are building the installer project you must not run visual studio as administrator, so it is working now :)

thanks for you help ... aehm not ^^

Greets,
Harald
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 03:56:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Harald,

Sorry for not participating in finding the solution.

A custom IE toolbar is a per-machine thing; the installer must be run elevated. Add-in Express creates a setup project that generates setup.exe and .MSI; running setup.exe *must* produce a UAC warning (assuming that UAC is enabled).

Harald Holzmann writes:
If you are building the installer project you must not run visual studio as administrator

Could you please explain this? In the manual, we describe starting the VS IDE via the Run as administrator option and we never suggested to run the IDE non-elevated. Maybe, you refer to running the installer using the corresponding option of the IDE (the option is available if you right-click a setup project created by Visual Studio Installer).

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 04:25:48 Top
Harald Holzmann

Hello Andreis,

no problem - you're welcome!

I think i was a little bit to fast. Now i found another Win10-PC where the solution not works. In the installation proccess after double-click on setup.exe you are asked for administrator privileges and the installation run successfull. But there is no add-on listed in IE.

To explain what i mean with/without administrator privileges: If I run visual studio without administrator privileges the administrator privilege question after pressing setup.exe is generated. If I run Visual Studio with Administrato privileges the question is not generated.

But anyway there seemes something be strange in my setup project. Is it a option that i send you my solution and you check it?

Any other points that i may miss and why my toolbar not show up?

Thanks for your support,
Harald
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 04:41:08 Top
Harald Holzmann

Hello again,

here is the new installer of the toolbar: https://varioous.at/files/comdirect_bonus_radar_v_0_3.zip

That version works for me (created with visual studio that not run as administrator) but not on all machines, like i described in the last message.

Could you please check that installer file?

Thanks and kind regards,
Harald
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 05:11:52 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Harald Holzmann writes:
But there is no add-on listed in IE.

Running the installer should produce Documents\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer. Could you please post the log file here or send it to the support email address?

Harald Holzmann writes:
If I run visual studio without administrator privileges the administrator privilege question after pressing setup.exe is generated. If I run Visual Studio with Administrato privileges the question is not generated.

I've created an add-in project, a broker application project and a setup project in VS 2015 started via the Run as administrator option. I build the installer, open Windows Explorer, find setup.exe and double-click it: here I get the UAC warning. Winfdows 10. UAC is set to its default level.

Harald Holzmann writes:
WARNING: File 'adxloader64.dll' targeting 'x64' is not compatible with the project's target platform 'x86'

This is expected. You create an x86 installer so that it can run on 32bit and64 bit systems. The installer provides both 32bit and 64bit loader versions so that your IE extension can be loaded by 32bit and 64bit IE. Being 32bit, the setup project warns you that a 64bit file is not compatible with the 32bit platform. Since this is done on purpose, you can ignore the warning safely.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 05:20:05 Top
Harald Holzmann

Andrei Smolin writes:
Running the installer should produce Documents\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer. Could you please post the log file here or send it to the support email address?

You mean C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\Add-in Express? ... There is no such directory?

Thanks and kind regards,
Harald
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 05:28:03 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Does your setup project contain an Installer action starting adxregistrator.exe /install="YourAddin.dll"? Does that code line contain a parameter preventing the log from being created?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 08 Nov, 2017 05:44:41 Top