Assembly version in the manage add ons screen

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Assembly version in the manage add ons screen

Josua STrauss

There is a hard requirement to use maven for our project management. This application is cross browser and we are mainly a linux shop. I have come up with a versioning scheme that integrates the projects together. Here is what I am doing.

1. Maven builds a dependent javascript project and copies assets over to IE project directory.
2. Maven preprocesses the Internet Explorer directory and converts a variable inside a text file to match the version number described in the parent project.
3. In the csproject file for the extension, I have defined a property group with the AssemblyVersionAttribute.
4. Also in the csproject file, I have specified an action to write the version to a cs file in the before build target.

The file produced is called VersionInfo.cs and the code looks like this "[assembly:System.Reflection.AssemblyVersion('x.x.x.x')]" <- only an example and contains actual values

5. At this point, I use msbuild which is triggered by maven to build the extension project, msi project, and setup bundle.

My problem is that the manage add ons screen always contains a build number that is some versions back. I am certain that the code is compiling correctly because features that I am adding to the code are being tested by my QA team. It's worth mentioning that the add or remove programs dialog always contains the correct version number as specified by the VersionInfo.cs file.

I actually don't care about the manage add ons screen but it is confusing clients when we attempt to trouble shoot.

I have spent some time reading documentation on your site but I am still confused with respect to that specific version number and how I can ensure it matches the add or remove programs dialog.

Thank you for your time.
Posted 12 Jun, 2017 21:35:21 Top
Josua STrauss

To add to this, I want to make sure the build process is fully automated, so i am trying to not utilize Visual Studio or any manual processes.
Posted 12 Jun, 2017 21:37:48 Top
Josua STrauss

Supplemental info

If I run the register adx function from inside the visual studio build menu, the adxloader and adxloader64 files that are replaced in the loader directory have a product version attribute that is equal to the assembly version number I specified previously. This implies that I should be doing this after every version number change. I am not sure how to reproduce this behavior as part of the standard build process. I am assuming there is some command line equivalent program that I can run which will do the same thing.
Posted 12 Jun, 2017 22:43:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Josua,

What Add-in Express for IE version are you using?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 13 Jun, 2017 07:06:50 Top
Josua STrauss

9.4.6126 - I believe this is probably close to the latest?
Posted 13 Jun, 2017 12:05:14 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Josua,

Thank you. It should work.

I suppose adxloader.dll and adxloader64.dll were read-only at the moment you built the project. Could this be so?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 14 Jun, 2017 05:25:46 Top
Josua STrauss

"I suppose adxloader.dll and adxloader64.dll were read-only at the moment you built the project. Could this be so?"

I don't believe so. I have found quite a few solutions online that employ command line tools to change those product version attributes. One of these solutions is bound to work and all of them should integrate well with maven, so I think we can consider this issue as non-actionable on your side for now. Thanks for your time.
Posted 15 Jun, 2017 09:17:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

No problem.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 15 Jun, 2017 09:30:32 Top