Updating IE Toolbar

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Updating IE Toolbar
I always get false for IsNetworkDeployed and IsUpdatable 
Shawn Mullen

I have read and re-read the user guide and just have not been able to get this to work.

1. The user guide says IsUpdatable always returns true for Windows 7. I have WIndows 7 and it always returns false.

2. The user guide references IsMSINetworkDeployed, but I don't see that anywhere.

3. I download the msi directly. I do not use the setup.exe. Our users can't use anything with an exe extension so I have to test with just the msi. I know the toolbar is installed with the msi, but isNetworkDepolyed is always false.

4. I know I am administrator on my dev machine. IsUpdatable is always false.

5. I believe I am using Click Twice. I use Wix to create the msi, and right click on the project->add-in express->Publish to publish the toolbar. I copy all files to a web server.

6. No matter what is in the version_info.xml file, CheckForUpdates returns an empty string.

7. Using Fiddler, i can see that there are no http calls going out when I call CheckForUpdates.

I am running IE11.

How do I get updates to work?
Posted 09 Mar, 2016 11:42:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Shawn,

Shawn Mullen writes:
1. The user guide says IsUpdatable always returns true for Windows 7. I have WIndows 7 and it always returns false.

On what class do you call this property?

Shawn Mullen writes:
2. The user guide references IsMSINetworkDeployed, but I don't see that anywhere.

Do you refer to the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC? If so, I don't see IsMSINetworkDeployed; I see IsNetworkDeployed instead.

Shawn Mullen writes:
3. I download the msi directly. I do not use the setup.exe. Our users can't use anything with an exe extension so I have to test with just the msi. I know the toolbar is installed with the msi, but isNetworkDepolyed is always false.

Installing an IE toolbar requires you to run the installer elevated. Do you do this? Also, installing without setup.exe requires having all prerequisites are pre-installed; hope this is the case. As to IsNetworkDepolyed returning false, please check if the content of adxloader.dll.manifest gets changed during the installation process.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Mar, 2016 01:59:01 Top
Shawn Mullen

Andrei,

1. From the toolbar module which inherits from AddinExpress.IE.ADXIEToolbarModule. Is there another place to call from?

2. I am referring to the pdf, but I was being too specific in my question. There is no property that has the the word ?Â?Ð?ìMSI?Â?Ð?í in it.

3. I am admin on my machine. Even if I wasn?Â?Ð?ét, shouldn?Â?Ð?ét the MSI be temporarily elevated during install? I understand the need to have the prerequisites installed if I don?Â?Ð?ét use setup.exe. Since I am using my development machine, all the prerequisites are installed. Our users are corporate, and span many different companies. None of them allow their employees to download or install exe files from the web. Therefore, we cannot use the setup.exe and users have to ensure the prerequisites are installed. Since the only real prerequisite is .NET 2.0, this is usually not an issue.

What do you mean by, ?Â?Ð?ì...check if the content of adxloader.dll.manifest gets changed during the installation process?Â?Ð?í. What should the manifest get changed to? This is what the installed manifest looks like:

<configuration>
<assemblyIdentity name=?Â?Ð?ìMyToolbar, PublicKeyToken=f7e45ae25d95bcf0" imageRuntimeVersion="v2.0.50727" />
<loaderSettings generateLogFile="true" shadowCopyEnabled="false" privileges="administrator" configFileName=?Â?Ð?ìMyToolbar.dll.config" />
</configuration>

This is what it looks like in visual studio as well.

I am not a new customer to add-in express. We have been using it for years. We have never been able to get the update process to work. My assumption is I must be doing something wrong since no one else appears to be having issues, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I have deleted and re-added the setup project many times. I have run through the steps outlined in the documentation many times. It simply has never worked.

Thanks,

Shawn
Posted 10 Mar, 2016 06:32:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Shawn,

Shawn Mullen writes:
This is what it looks like in visual studio as well.

Installing the add-in by running the click-twice downloader modifies the manifest. But since you can't download a .exe, you can't start the downloader and this means you can't use ClickTwice.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 10 Mar, 2016 10:01:12 Top