Need a mechanism to install Add-in Express without closing existing IE processes

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Need a mechanism to install Add-in Express without closing existing IE processes
Add-in Express install and MSI in general ask the user to close IE during the install processes 
Michael Hutchinson

Normally, the install process checks to see if there are files in use before attempting to install new components or update existing items.

I need a mechanism that installs Add-in Express without requiring the closing of the existing IE processes.

I have seen other Add-ins that work this way, but they were not using Add-in Express.

The technique they use allows newly opened IE browser pages to make use of the Add-in but not the one that were already open before the install.

Does anyone know of any way to achieve this when using Add-in Express for IE?
Posted 23 Feb, 2015 13:22:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Michael,

My apologies for the delayed response; I guess I had overlooked your post.

You cannot update your add-on if IE is running. This occurs because the add-on files are locked and there's no way to unlock them.

On the other hand you can install an add-on without closing: set DisplayAlerts=false on the add-in module. Still this isn't recommended because the add-on won't run in the tabs opened by that moment. It will start only on a new tab that starts a new IE process. This isn't user-friendly.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 27 Feb, 2015 06:09:02 Top