Custom ContextMenus disappear in 'Sagitta' web page, in IE 9, on a Terminal Server

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Custom ContextMenus disappear in 'Sagitta' web page, in IE 9, on a Terminal Server
Our menus are initially present but then vanish while navigating through this web application. 
Ira Whitman

I hate to post with so little information, but we are somewhat handcuffed. This is a customer issue, which we cannot duplicate in house, and thus we must gather what information we can through a remote connection.

We have a BHO built with AddinExpress.IE v8.2.5067.0, which we distribute as a means for our customers to integrate various browser-based applications with our document management system.

One customer is having an issue with a browser-based application called, Sagitta, from Vertafore. (Formerly, AMS). It occurs for their users who access Sagitta via a Terminal Server. It is running IE 9.

The customer's IT person has tested this from a single-user computer (not a Terminal Server), which is running IE 10, and does not experience a the issue.

Let me explain this issue:
1. When Sagitta is first launched, it presents a log in screen. All of our context menu commands (ADXIEContextMenuCommandItems), which we add to the ContextMenu, appear on a right-click here. (An entry appears in the file, adxloader.log file, which confirms successful load.)

2. After login, the application loads a 'Home' page with various navigation items. The context menu items continue to work here. (Nothing else is added to adxloader.log yet.)

3. The user can now navigate to various items: clients, policies, and activities. Whatever they navigate to opens a second window with the selected item detailed therein. (A second entry in adxloader.log shows that the BHO was loaded successfully again in this second window.) Our menus continue to work.

4. From this second window, they may navigate to other items. Doing so loads new details into that second window. However, after any subsequent navigations, our menus no longer appear.

5. If the second window is closed, the user can return to the Home page and pick a new item, which opens a new window. Our BHO will load and the context menus will appear again, but only on the first item selected.

We do not have access to their Sagitta system ourselves, so we cannot investigate this from our debug environment. Logging debugging info to a file, we can confirm that the IEModule's OnConnect event fires each time the BHO is loaded, and herein we add our menu items to the Context Menu. We never remove them, so we don't know why they cease to appear.

As stated, this occurs only on the Terminal Server with IE 9. We don't know if either IE 9 or the Terminal Server may be the cause. We're seeking another station (non-terminal server) on which we can test with IE 9 to narrow this down.

Nothing appears in Windows event logs.

What can I do to gather more information and resolve this?
Posted 26 Jun, 2014 15:31:46 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ira,

Can you please send some screenshots of this issue? Probably the customer can reproduce this issue on other web sites. Can you please ask?
Posted 27 Jun, 2014 06:10:22 Top
Ira Whitman

Since my last post, we have:
1. Determined that the problem doesn't occur on IE 9 on a stand-alone computer. It only appears on the terminal server.
2. Determined that -- as you suggested -- the problem does occur on other websites. In fact, we reproduced it on our own web-based document management system, 'eclipse', accessing it from the customer environment. Thus, it is not unique to Sagitta.
3. Collected several screenshots:

The screen shots are in a ZIP file shared thus: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B77Ro2bt2HM7Ni1HVlhLeEpoYVE/edit?usp=sharing

They show:
1. The home page of our application, eclipse.
2. Same page, our menu items are absent from the IE context menu. (This was after several clicks, navigating here and there within the application.)
3. Same page, our menu items present. (Ours are the block of 5 just above Properties, below One Note.) (After reloading the page with Ctrl+F5)
4. One of the other views within our application. (This occurred between #1 and #2.)
5. The home page within Sagitta with our menus present.
6. The secondary page within Sagitta. (Home page is still open in the background.) Menus are still here.
7. Navigated within secondary page. menus are now gone.
8. Closed secondary page and opened another from the home page. Menus are back.
9. One more navigation, menus still here.
10. And another navigation, now they are gone.

Although I don't have Sagitta for you to try, you can connected to the "test" site on our application.

https://cloud.docstar.com
username: sergey@docstar.com
password: I will email this to you at support@add-in-express.com

You will have limited rights to the system, but you can click on the home page. Addin menus should appear there.
Then click on the 'Default Inbox'.
Our application captures right click there, so there will be no menus.
Then return to the home page. Right-click in the center area and in the right-hand pane (we call it "buzz space"). This is when the menus disappeared (when I tried it.)

Thank you.
Posted 30 Jun, 2014 15:44:29 Top
Ira Whitman

Ah...
Upon further testing.

I am seeing this issue on IE 9 on a stand-alone (non-terminal server) computer on both Sagitta and eclipse websites/applications. (I'm not sure I didn't see it before on Sagitta -- maybe I just didn't step through enough navigations.)

At this point, we have fair confidence that upgrading to IE 10 will resolve the issue and can propose this to our customer. But, any insight you might share would be valuable.
Posted 01 Jul, 2014 09:43:30 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ira,

Thank you for the screenshots. Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the issue on our Terminal Server (we use IE 11). Obviously, the cause of the issue is in Windows messages that IE sends to the tab window when the user right-clicks on the HTML document. Add-in Express doesn't get a message and the context menu doesn't appear. Of course, I can downgrade to IE9 if that makes sense. Is there any chance that your customer will follow your advise and install a newer IE version?
Posted 01 Jul, 2014 10:05:08 Top
Ira Whitman

Thank you, Sergey. Yes, there is a chance that they will upgrade. The level of confidence with which we can say, "this will fix it", will affect that. Based on what I've seen, I have a pretty good level of confidence now that this is specific to IE 9. It seems that you agree?
Posted 01 Jul, 2014 10:17:07 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ira,

Yes, I totally agree that this is IE9 specific issue. Please let me know about your customer's decision in any case.
Posted 01 Jul, 2014 11:04:27 Top
Ira Whitman

I apologize for the delay. Our customer has down some investigation, and there is some resistance to upgrading to IE 10 (or later). The version of Sagitta (their primary business application) they currently use is not compatible with anything later than IE 9. They are considering upgrading Sagitta and their browsers to resolve this issue, but it is a major undertaking for them.

Thus, I have to ask that you investigate the issue with IE 9. You can still use the instructions and user name, which I described in my post on 30 Jun, 2014 15:44:29.

Thank you.
Posted 16 Jul, 2014 10:09:05 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ira,

I am trying to reproduce the issue in IE9 now. Can you please send me a screenshot with the About dialog of IE 9 made on the problematic PC?
Posted 17 Jul, 2014 10:26:54 Top
Ira Whitman

Posted 17 Jul, 2014 13:00:26 Top