Internet Explorer Anomalies

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Internet Explorer Anomalies
Insights and Warnings; things to look out for when debugging. 
Robert Apostolico

Add-in Express Support,

This post is in no way meant to put Add-In Express for IE in a bad light.

Just some weird things I noticed that should be pointed out to newbies.

1. Injected Source code changes will NOT appear in the "debugger" source, but will appear in the DOM.
User added an image
2. Image 2 is same web page, viewed thought the DOM
User added an image
3. In both cases, checked the "Console window" were my javascript was running, you can see code was injected
User added an image
4. I also inject CSS. BUT NOWHERE in the Source or the DOM can you FIND the CSS.
User added an image
5. Image 5, here you can see that a 'flag' I set during the injection was appended as body attribute:
User added an image
6. Image 6, here you can see the injected javascript appended below closing </html> tag
User added an image
7. Image 7, here you can see the javascript was injected and run (note console window),
BUT the body attribute was somehow not updated?
User added an image

So, there are definite inconsistencies in how the source code and the DOM display themselves when debugging.
Sometimes, having the F12-tools debugger open DURING the page refresh/navigate to seems NOT properly reflect the injected javascript and attributes. Sometimes having the F12-tools window CLOSED during the refresh/navigate to will result in a better reflection of what happened to the page. BUT nothing seems to be consistent or guaranteed to reflect exactly what was done behind the scenes.

I feel this is more a problem of IE11 (and other versions) of the JS/HTML debugger.

But people need to be warned about this stuff. Its ugly.
And if they've worked with Chrome's debugger (which is nice and accurate), its a rude awakening.

If you have any additional advice, my eyes and ears are open.

THANK YOU!
Posted 20 May, 2014 09:04:05 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Robert,

Thank you for posting this! Really appreciate.

Unfortunately, programming for IE isn't that comfortable as it could be.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 21 May, 2014 05:43:41 Top