Using input's in WebBrowser control in Advanced Side Bar

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Using input's in WebBrowser control in Advanced Side Bar
Allowing tabbing, text selection and other native textbox functionality 
Gary Garside

Hi,

We've had our .NET app in the wild now for a good few months, albeit lacking a little polish in certain areas. One of the main problems that we're having is that under Windows 8 (IE 10 and 11) we can't perform a lot of standard functionality on an text box held in a Web Browser control that's sitting within an Advanced Sidebar.

I noticed this topic on the forums: http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?PAGEN_1=1&FID=10&TID=11054

I've attempted to add an AxWebBrowser control to our project but get a number of errors. It looks like there's some incompatibility between the Interop.SHDocVw that is loaded in the the project (9.0 I believe) and the Interop.SHDocVw that the AxWebBrowser is looking for (1.0? 1.1?)

I also noticed on the above pasted thread that the user managed to use a System.Windows.Controls.WebBrowser, but I don't seem to have this as an option at all. We're using ADX version 9.0.6121 and Visual Studio Professional 2012. The IE extension is targeting .NET Framework 2.0.

Any ideas? This one is baffling me.

EDIT: To be a little more specific on the above, we can't highlight text in a text box, tab between text boxes, click the "x" that appears on the right of a text box to clear it. All of this is possible when loading the same URL in a standard browser window, but not in the Advanced Sidebar's WebBrowser control.
Posted 03 Mar, 2014 07:19:17 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Gary,

To remove errors you need to exclude Interop.SHDocVw.dll from references and replace
'using IE = Interop.SHDocVw;' with 'using IE = SHDocVw;'.
Posted 03 Mar, 2014 10:03:06 Top
Gary Garside

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try and let you know how I got on.
Posted 03 Mar, 2014 10:04:17 Top
Gary Garside

Hi Sergey,

Quick update. I've tried replacing the Interop.SHDocVw with AxSHDocVw to no avail. It broke the extension on numerous levels and I don't have the time to rebuild it to that extent.

I've reverted the extension to it's previous state, using a standard WebBrowser control within my Advanced Sidebar. Have you had any issues regarding not being able to type/select text/perform native functionality within WebBrowser controls in the Advanced Sidebar?

It ONLY happens on Windows 8. Windows 7 and below seem to work perfectly fine and behave as expected.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Posted 04 Mar, 2014 04:27:43 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Gary,

Yes, the WebBrowser control works bad on Advanced Bar in Windows 8 and later. I don't have any solution for this issue yet. Please use ActiveX version of the control.
Posted 04 Mar, 2014 06:38:01 Top
Gary Garside

Hi Sergey,

Many thanks. We'll have to give that a try. Next question! :) As I've been having massive compatibility issues with the Active X control and my ADX project, I thought I'd start a new project and add the Active X WebBrowser from the start.

In VS2013 Pro however, when I go to New Project, there are no ADX options available to me? Any idea what might cause that? I'm running VS in Administrator mode.
Posted 04 Mar, 2014 07:30:16 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Gary,

In VS2013 Pro however, when I go to New Project, there are no ADX options available to me?

This is a bug. Please create the folder below manually and re-install Add-in Express completely (not repair).
c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\Extensibility Projects\
Posted 04 Mar, 2014 08:13:59 Top