Adding Buttons to IE9+

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Adding Buttons to IE9+
Is it possible to add buttons near the IE9 home, favs, settings buttons 
Adrian Pavelescu

Afternoon,

I have done some looking around but I am not sure if this is possible. I am trying to develop a plugin with a relatively low footprint if the user is not actively using it. So I would like to add a button near the IE9 home, favs, settings buttons. Then when the user clicks that button, have a dropdown panel appear much like the favorites in IE9 do. Here is an example below. (For those wondering what I crossed over in red, they were work related bookmark folders, delivered automatically. :0) )

User added an image

If that is not possible, is there a way to cause the browser to show the Command Bar in the OnConnect? That way I can just add my button there and have that show an Explorer Bar when clicked...

Thanks in advance,

Adrian
Posted 20 Aug, 2013 12:44:06 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Adrian,

IE doesn't provide such features for developers. But you can display your bar via the 'View->Explorer Bars' menu or the context menu of the active tab.
Posted 21 Aug, 2013 06:22:36 Top
Adrian Pavelescu

Hi Sergey,

Thanks for the reply. So to clarify there's also no way to ask IE to show the command bar on browser start? If that is the case then I think the option you mentioned is the route I'll take.
Posted 21 Aug, 2013 15:04:20 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Adrian,

The IE Command Bar is not accessible via IE API. So we can't show/hide it via the code in the OnConnect event.
Posted 22 Aug, 2013 05:17:25 Top
Adrian Pavelescu

Hi guys,

I was able to make the Command Bar show via the WiX installer config. I figure if I add a command button, a keyboard shortcut and a menu option the end user should have plenty of options to display my addon. Here is how I was able to show the command bar via instalation.

<Fragment>
		<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
			<Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
				<Directory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Name="MyIEAddon1" >
         <Component Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Guid="37002698-df1d-4107-bbf9-41d35c14b05a">
            <RemoveFolder On="both" Id="INSTALLFOLDER"/>
            <RegistryValue Root="HKLM" Key="Software[Manufacturer][ProductName]" Type="string" Value="MyIEAddon1" />
          </Component>

<Component Id="RegistryEntries" Guid="180ec603-9f27-451d-a7a1-9d00065a967f">
            <RegistryKey Root="HKCU"
                         Key="SoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMINIE"
                  Action="create">
                <RegistryValue Type="integer" Name="CommandBarEnabled" Value="1" KeyPath="yes"/>
            </RegistryKey>
          </Component>
        </Directory>
			</Directory>
		</Directory>
	</Fragment>

It should be noted that I have yet to test this method with a good set of Windows installs and IE Setups. So there may be some challenges that I may yet encounter.
Posted 28 Aug, 2013 19:11:08 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Adrian,

Thank you very much for the solution.
Posted 29 Aug, 2013 10:23:32 Top