Add On Projects not being Registered?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add On Projects not being Registered?

andrew.helgeland

Hi,

Something has gone wrong with my internet explorer / add-in express.. Creating a new project, building it, and registering it don't throw any errors. When I open IE (10) it gives me the option to enable or disable the "new extension" that is now available. Choosing enable does not actually load the toolbar, but it shows that it is enabled in "Manage Add-Ons". Also, with it enabled and IE running, rebuilding the solution should throw an error saying "Could not ... addin.dll because the file is in use." correct? This does not happen...

Also, I can enable old projects, but once I make a change to them and build them again, they no longer show up in IE. The name of the toolbar does not show up in the list when right clicking the bar in IE.

The adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log in Documents>Add-in Express is not being updated, leading me to believe the problem is something in these .dlls, however, it could be something I'm not configuring correctly...

I've uninstalled and re-installed the latest version of Add-In Express. I'm running Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) and Visual Studio Premium 2012 (as administrator), and IE 10.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as my project is currently getting to be higher and higher priority.

Thanks,
Andrew
Posted 29 Jul, 2013 11:43:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Andrew,

Please make sure that you run VS using the "Run as administrator" option.

andrew.helgeland writes:
When I open IE (10) it gives me the option to enable or disable the "new extension" that is now available. Choosing enable does not actually load the toolbar, but it shows that it is enabled in "Manage Add-Ons".

Does the toolbar work if you restart IE?

andrew.helgeland writes:
Also, with it enabled and IE running, rebuilding the solution should throw an error saying "Could not ... addin.dll because the file is in use." correct?

Yes.

andrew.helgeland writes:
The adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log in Documents>Add-in Express is not being updated, leading me to believe the problem is something in these .dlls, however, it could be something I'm not configuring correctly...

adxregistrator.log is updated if you install/uninstall your add-on using an installer; this file doesn't get updated if you register/unregister the add-on from VS.

The default location of adxloader.log is My Documents\Add-in Express in the user's profile. Writing to this location is typically prevented by IE's Protected Mode which is turned on by default. For debugging purposes, you can bypass this by starting IE via the "Run as administrator" option.

Hope this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 30 Jul, 2013 01:17:25 Top
andrew.helgeland

I'm running both as administrator. No, restarting IE does not help.
Posted 30 Jul, 2013 09:08:19 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hello Andrew,

Choosing enable does not actually load the toolbar, but it shows that it is enabled in "Manage Add-Ons".

Did you try to restart IE? Do you see the toolbar in the View->Toolbars menu?

Also, with it enabled and IE running, rebuilding the solution should throw an error saying "Could not ... addin.dll because the file is in use." correct?

Please don't rebuild the project while the add-on is running. If you see this error, the add-on is already unregistered and you need to register it again after you close IE.

Also, I can enable old projects, but once I make a change to them and build them again, they no longer show up in IE. The name of the toolbar does not show up in the list when right clicking the bar in IE.

Did you close IE before you built old projects.
Posted 30 Jul, 2013 09:46:04 Top
andrew.helgeland

Did you try to restart IE? Do you see the toolbar in the View->Toolbars menu?

Yes. The toolbar is in Manage Add-ons, however it is not in the right-click menu, nor the View -> Toolbars menu.

I've started a new project, built and registered it with IE closed (VS as admin), it says it succeeded, open IE, "New Add-on Available", click "enable", nothing happens. Shows enabled in Manage Add-Ons, but doesn't show up anywhere.

Any ideas?
Posted 05 Aug, 2013 09:28:00 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Andrew,

It looks like you haven't added an item to the Toolbars collection. In the manual, please check the section Custom Toolbars in IE.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 05 Aug, 2013 10:33:15 Top
andrew.helgeland

I read that, but it seems like that only applies to an IE Add-on project, correct? My project is just a stand alone toolbar project.

Also, I tried making a simple add-on project, and adding a toolbar to the toolbars collection (literally following the developer's guide step by step). This also has all the same problems as the above.
Posted 07 Aug, 2013 15:06:20 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrew,

Is Enhanced Protected Mode enabled in IE on your PC?
Posted 08 Aug, 2013 05:35:30 Top
andrew.helgeland

No it is not. Nor is regular protected mode. Nor is UAC. Also, I reset all IE settings, still no luck.
Posted 08 Aug, 2013 15:10:45 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Andrew,

Can you please send me a simple toolbar project on the support e-mail? I will test it on my PC.
Posted 09 Aug, 2013 07:39:23 Top