Using 3rd party installer software - what are the explict steps to do this ?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Using 3rd party installer software - what are the explict steps to do this ?
Using 3rd party installer doesn't register BHO 
George Kierstein

Hi,

I have successfully used Visual Studio 2010's 'Create Setup Project' menu item to create a working installer of my BHO. What I need to do is use a 3rd party installer creation program instead. (Advanced Installer fwiw).

It allows me to import the visual studio project and pick all the various dll's but it doesn't register the BHO during installation.

What are the explicit steps that I need to do in order to properly use a 3rd party tool to create an installer ?

For example, I noticed that the following is added as a PostBuildEvent:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Add-in Express\Add-in Express .NET for Internet Explorer\Bin\adxpatch.exe" "$(BuiltOuputPath)" /UAC=On /RunActionsAsInvoker=true"

What does this do and what other steps do I need to take to get my BHO to register properly ?

Thanks
G
Posted 07 Jul, 2013 19:55:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello George,

George Kierstein writes:
what other steps do I need to take to get my BHO to register properly ?

You need to follow the steps described in the section Creating a Setup Project Manually.

Below is a citation from the manual:

This executable patches the generated .MSI in the following ways:
?Â?Ð?? it hides the For Me and For Everyone choice in the installer UI. Hiding these options is required because the installer will fail if the user running the installer doesn't have permissions to install for all users on the PC.
?Â?Ð?? it turns off the dialog asking for administrative privileges; the UAC dialog pops up when a non-admin user runs a setup.exe on Vista/Windows 7/Windows 2008 Server. Switching off the dialog is required because entering the admin credentials will install the IE extension for the administrator and not for the user running the installer.

What actually registers your add-on is adxregistrator.exe.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 08 Jul, 2013 04:52:31 Top