Add-in Enabled but Not Available

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in Enabled but Not Available

Eric Smith

I have an IE add-in (written with .NET 4.0) which runs successfully inside Visual Studio 2012. However, when I install the add-in and run the plugin directly from IE, it never gets invoked. The following things are true (running IE9 under Windows 7):

- In the Manage Add-ons dialog, the add-in appears as Enabled but Not Available.
- Turning off Protected Mode does not help.
- Running IE as Administrator does not help.
- When I examine the adxloader.log and adxregistrator.log files, there are no evident error messages, and both log files report success.

Any suggestions for what I can try next?

Thanks,

Eric Smith
ThoughtWire Corp.
Posted 23 Jan, 2013 10:46:11 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Eric,

If adxloader.log is created, the add-on is loaded successfully in IE.
Do you install the add-on on the same PC? Do you run setup.exe to install the add-on?
Posted 24 Jan, 2013 03:51:23 Top
Eric Smith

Sergey Grischenko writes:
If adxloader.log is created, the add-on is loaded successfully in IE.
Do you install the add-on on the same PC? Do you run setup.exe to install the add-on?

Yes, adxloader.log is created. The file contains no obvious error messages and ends with "The managed add-on class has been created successfully."

The installer was launched with setup.exe.

Unfortunately, we've discovered that on some Windows 7 PCs, the workaround of using an older adxloader.dll (mentioned in the "Setting version number for add-on" thread) fails to work. I'm currently adding extra debug messages to our add-on's OnConnect method to get a better idea of where exactly it is failing.

Any suggestions for other things I can try?

Thanks,

Eric Smith
ThoughtWire Corp.
Posted 13 Feb, 2013 14:52:53 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Eric,

Please check if the add-on installed on a local drive or a network share on problematic PCs?
Posted 14 Feb, 2013 10:28:42 Top
Eric Smith

After spending a day tracking down this problem, it turns out that the problematic PCs were ones where .NET 4.0 Client Profile was installed. The add-on was calling System.Web, which is unavailable in .NET Client Profile. An exception was thrown early in the startup process, which prevented our add-on from initialising properly.

I've removed the dependency on System.Web, and our add-on now initialises correctly on all machines.

Thanks,

Eric Smith
ThoughtWire Corp.
Posted 14 Feb, 2013 11:24:00 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Eric,

Thank you for the update.
Posted 15 Feb, 2013 05:17:04 Top