Is it possible to do something more like this
User added an image
using AIX?
Posted 22 Aug, 2012 13:06:27 Top
andrew.helgeland

Is it possible to do something more like this
User added an image
using AIX?

Would it just be a tiny little toolbar with one button and you would specify the placement?
Could you give some example (pref. C#) of how to to this if it is even possible?

Thanks a lot,
Andrew
Posted 22 Aug, 2012 14:49:24 Top
andrew.helgeland

Just to clarify, I mean adding a button on the same level as the address bar that would open a panel like above.

Thanks.
Posted 22 Aug, 2012 15:54:25 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Andrew,

No, there is no trivial way for adding a button next to the URL field in Internet Explorer. The structure of the IE window is entirely different:

User added an image
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 03:24:08 Top
andrew.helgeland

Is there a way to show a panel like ^ from a toolbar button that I could put a web browser control in?
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 10:33:15 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Andrew,

Sorry, but I do not quite understand your query. Could you please describe the final goal in detail (with screenshots if it is possible)?
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 10:42:58 Top
andrew.helgeland

Basically, a tiny toolbar with one button that shows and hides little popover window like the pictures above.

We are trying to keep the overall user experience the same across all 3 browsers (we are developing a firefox add-on and a chrome extension as well). The other two are going to have a button that shows and hides a panel like the above. That panel is just an html page, so that's why I was asking about the web browser control.

Would I need to make my own control that inherits from a ToolStripDropDownButton or would it be better to just keep the standard look and feel of a Internet Explorer toolbar? (in your opinion)

Personally, I think the user experience can and should be different between the browsers, but unfortunately I am not the one who gets to decide these things around here...
Posted 23 Aug, 2012 11:18:07 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Andrew,

The ToolStripDropDownButton may not work properly in case of IE. I have just found two similar forum threads:

http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=10630
http://www.add-in-express.com/forum/read.php?FID=10&TID=10928

So, I don't recommend using the ToolStripDropDown controls in IE. As a workaround you can use a regular button on the IE toolbar and show an instance of the System.Windows.Forms.Form class to a user (see the http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa984358%28v=vs.71%29.aspx method). Of course, you can change the look and feel of your form according to the needs (as shown on the screenshot).
Posted 24 Aug, 2012 05:01:22 Top
andrew.helgeland

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, it is more or less working out. Now I have a toolbar with one button, "docked" right, that shows/hides a windows form with a web browser control in it.

I'm just having a few minor problems that are definitely not AIX issues, so I won't ask about them here. :)
Posted 24 Aug, 2012 13:36:48 Top
andrew.helgeland

Is there a way to determine how much space is available between the toolbar button that was clicked and the closest edge of the IE window? I just want to make sure my panel always opens inside the IE window's bounds (x-position only, if the window is too short or too small, oh well).
Posted 24 Aug, 2012 15:05:13 Top