Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

System.AccessViolationException

Omri Suissa

Hi,
We have an urgent error on production environment on some users:

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
   at AddinExpress.IE.Win32.CallWindowProc(IntPtr lpPrevWndFunc, IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
   at AddinExpress.IE.ContextMenuSubClass.IEServerWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, UInt32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

1) What can cause this bug?
2) Why you don't catch this error and log it instead of let it terminate the process? (The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.)

Thanks,
Omri
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 03:05:37 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Omri,

I have never seen such issue before. Could you please help me in reproducing it on my side?

What version and build number of Add-in Express do you use? May I get the adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log files from the problematic PC? IE version? Bitness?
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 04:22:00 Top
Omri Suissa

Hi Eugene,
1. This is a really urgent issue since it happens on a client machines (several).
2. I don't know how to reproduce it since it don't happen on my computer or others that i tested.
3. The IE version is 8
4. ADX version is 7.2.4104.0

That is all i know for now
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 04:26:51 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Omri,

May I get the adxregistrator.log and adxloader.log files from the problematic PC?

Was it the x64 or x86 edition of IE?
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 04:31:54 Top
Omri Suissa

I sent you an email...
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 04:53:47 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Omri,

Is the issue specific to IE x86 or x64? Are you able to reproduce it with both editions - x64 and x86?
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 05:08:46 Top
Omri Suissa

I don't know yet, but can you please release a "safe" version where you catch that exception (i prefer that the context menu wont work from time to time then to crash the entire IE).

Thanks,
Omri
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 06:57:33 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Omri,

Please note that the cause of the issue may not relate to Add-in Express at all. The exceptions can be generated by the .net framework (not by Add-in Express or your add-on)

How can we reproduce the issue on our PCs? Could you please provide us with the URL address against which we can test Add-in Express based add-ons?
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 07:10:38 Top
Omri Suissa

Hi Eugene,
I completely understand that this is just the symptom, but i don't know how to reproduce it, i don't have access to the problematic page and my customer's IE crush, so my first priority is to catch this exception and "hide" it (write it to the log or something) and then understand the problem.

Omri
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 07:14:07 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Omri,

Please try to use the OnError event of the add-on module class. For example:

private void IEModule_OnError(ADXIEErrorEventArgs e)
{
    e.Handled = true;
}

This code prevents exception messages from showing to the end user. Is it what you are looking for?
Posted 19 Jul, 2012 07:41:08 Top