Setup not detecting .NET Framework 4.0

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Setup not detecting .NET Framework 4.0

Leonardo Pignataro

I am experimenting with the ClickTwice deployment for my IE addon. I am creating the visual studio installer and then publishing the project, as explained in the Developer's Guide (pages 130 - 138).

In one of the PCs where I'm testing the installation, when running the generated <projectname>.exe, I get the following message: "This setup requires the .NET Framework version 4.0. Please install the .NET Framework and run this setup again. The .NET Framework can be obtained from the web. Would you like to do this now?" and presents the buttons Yes and No.

Clicking No opens up a message box with the message "Fatal error during installation".

Clicking Yes opens up the default browser on the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile download page, explendid. The only problem is that the PC does have the .NET Framework 4.0 installed. If I try to download it and install, the installer only gives me two options, remove or repair. I even did a repair, but it didn't change anything.

I tried running the setup.exe instead of the <projectname>.exe. It simply invokes the download of <projectname>.exe, as if the setup.exe detected the .NET Framework 4.0 installed, but the <projectname>.exe didn't.

I have tried removing the prerequisites on both the VS setup project and the ADX Publish dialog, or marking only the .NET FW Client Profile or only the .NET FW Full, no difference.

What can I do?
Posted 22 May, 2012 10:30:12 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Leonardo,

Does the language of the setup project corresponds to the localization of Windows on the target PC?
Posted 22 May, 2012 11:16:51 Top
Leonardo Pignataro

Hello, Sergey.

Thanks for the quick response.

By "localization of Windows", which of these do you mean?

- The operating system language (the language in which windows is installed, fixed and non-user-defined (except in Windows 7 Ultimate by means of language packs)) or
- The date and time format (user-defined in the control panel item "region and language") or
- The current location (user-defined, also in "region and language") ?

I'm testing the deployment in 2 PCs and the problem described is only happening in one of them, even though they both have the same configuration in these aspects:

- Operating system language: English
- Date and Time format: Portuguese (Brazil)
- Current location: Brazil

On the properties of my setup project, the property "Localization" is set to "Neutral".
Posted 22 May, 2012 18:22:46 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Leonardo,

I think the the operating system language is meant. The setup program localization should correspond to the operating system language. Anyway, may I ask you to test a regular windows forms application with a MSI setup project on the problematic PC? Do you get the same results?
Posted 24 May, 2012 06:29:11 Top