How can I add a Split Button to IE Toolbar?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

How can I add a Split Button to IE Toolbar?

Radomir Mladenovic

Hi,

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to add s Split Button to the toolbar.

Can you please point me to some example?

Thanks.
Posted 05 Mar, 2012 03:51:22 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Radomir,

Please note that you can use any .net controls for IE toolbars. For example, you can use the System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip control with split buttons. You can read more about this in the http://www.add-in-express.com/downloads/documentation.php document (see the adxie.pdf file in the installation folder).

There is no such sample add-on because it is too easy to implement. The same steps are required in case of windows forms applications: just drop the toolstrip control on the form and then add a split button. However, I could prepare a sample add-on for you if you wish.
Posted 05 Mar, 2012 06:02:17 Top
Radomir Mladenovic

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did try adding MenuStrip to my IE Toolbar. However, I can't make it show small arrow as a sign that there are more options. (I'm not that much in .NET desktop development so not sure I'm using the right control or simply missing an option.)

Another need I have is that I should be able to add options to the Split Button menu dynamically. In case when there's one option only, I'd like a click on the toolbar icon to start my action automatically, without showing the menu. (Maybe I'll need two separate buttons (with default action and the split button with options) and dynamically decide which one to show.)

Thanks for any ideas.
Posted 05 Mar, 2012 06:43:09 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Radomir,

Could you please take a screenshot? What small arrow do you mean?
Posted 05 Mar, 2012 07:03:20 Top
Radomir Mladenovic

Here's a screenshot with desired look and my current button
http://screencast.com/t/iLLHhjyi
Posted 05 Mar, 2012 07:59:13 Top
Sergey Grischenko

Add-in Express team

Hi Radomir,

you just need to add the ToolStrip control (as suggested by Eugene) to the toolbar and then you can add a split button (with the drop down menu) using the 'Edit Items...' dialog of the ToolStrip control.
Posted 05 Mar, 2012 13:51:00 Top
Radomir Mladenovic

Oh, I see. That works. The confusing part (why I didn't try this first) was that icon for ToolStrip looks like a toolbar so it wasn't "logical" to me to drop a toolbar into toolbar component.
Posted 06 Mar, 2012 15:49:43 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Radomir,

Thank you for letting us know and good luck with your add-on project!
Posted 07 Mar, 2012 03:15:41 Top