Elevation Windows 7 64bits OL 2010 32bits/OL 2007

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Elevation Windows 7 64bits OL 2010 32bits/OL 2007

Ronald Siekman

Hi,

I am using premium release 2010.6.4.758 for VCL, OL 2010 32bits/OL 2007 on a Windows 7 64 bits machine. I created a new add-in with user privileges.
Registered the add-in and ran Outlook. Via the "option page", "add-ins" I can see that the add-in runs perfectly, but...

if I run Outlook as administrator the add-in is moved to the "Inactive application add-ins".

I want the add-in to be available for a user at all times.
I need this because I start Outlook from a CRM application, and some times my app is elevated because of updates.
Please can you tell me why this is happening? And how I can solve this?

Greetings,

Ronald Siekman
Posted 23 May, 2011 08:16:08 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ronald,

As far as I remember the issue is caused by an Office application run under elevated privileges on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and other UAC-aware operating systems trying to load an add-in based on records from the HKLM hive. But since your add-in is registered in the HKCU hive it cannot load it.

I would suggest registering your add-in with administrative privileges so that all records will be written in the HKLM registry hive.
Posted 23 May, 2011 12:45:01 Top
Ronald Siekman

Hi Dmitry,

This works, but the add-in must be available per user not for every user who is logging in on the same machine. I think the only solution is to prevent executing Outlook from my CRM app when it is in an elevated state.
If you have any other suggestion please let me know.

Thx

Ronald
Posted 24 May, 2011 04:50:19 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Ronald,

It seems I was not clear enough in my previous post, sorry. I did not mean registering your add-in for all PC users, I meant registering with elevated privileges in order for all COM registry entries to be written into HKLM but the add-in itself get registered for the current user only.

But if you can modify the code of your CRM application to run Outlook with normal privileges, it would be a nice solution.
Posted 24 May, 2011 09:28:15 Top
Ronald Siekman

Hi Dmitry,

I tried registering with elevated privileges, but no success. The Add-in isn't loaded when outlook is started as admin.

"run Outlook with normal privileges, it would be a nice solution"

Any suggestion ?
Posted 24 May, 2011 10:41:24 Top
Eugene Astafiev

Hi Ronald,

Did you change the Privileges parameter in the <YOUR_ADD_IN_DLL_NAME>.ini file before registering with elevated privileges? Please try to set the Privileges parameter to any value other than User and re-register your add-in.
Posted 25 May, 2011 01:56:12 Top
Ronald Siekman

Hi Eugene,

Great solution, thanks.
Everything works now. :D
Posted 25 May, 2011 03:52:51 Top
Eugene Astafiev

You are welcome, Ronald!
Posted 25 May, 2011 03:54:00 Top