Add-in makes Word slow down drastically

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Add-in makes Word slow down drastically

Steve Smith

Hello!

I've ran into a very strange issue. So far I have only seen this problem on one computer and unfortunately I can't make extensive tests because it's at a client's site.

The computer in question is running Windows XP with Office2003. My add-in is developped with the latest version of Add-in-express and Delphi7.

The problem is:

Once my add-in is installed, Word slows down drastically. When switching between open word documents you get an hourglass for like 5 seconds before Word responds. This is very annoying for the user.

If I remove (unregister) my add-in everything is back to normal.

The strange part is that after I register the add-in everything works fine for a short time, then suddenly the issue strikes out of nowhere. So it's like after registering the add-in, I open many Word windows and it's fine. Then I close the windows, reopen Word and the error is there. If I uninstall the add-in and reinstall it, everything is fine for a little bit then the error is there again.

To my knowledge there are no other add-ins installed on the computer in question, apart from the Adobe's standard PDF maker Word add-in.

Any ideas for a fix apart from uninstalling and reinstalling Office?

Thanks!
Posted 07 Mar, 2011 11:11:02 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Steve,

Please try to set the FastCommandBarSearch property to True in the OnAddInInitialize event handler:

procedure TAddInModule.adxCOMAddInModuleAddInInitialize(Sender: TObject);
begin
  Self.FastCommandBarSearch := True;
  // ...
end;
Posted 07 Mar, 2011 11:23:55 Top
Steve Smith

Thank you Dmitry,

This seems to be working.
Posted 20 Mar, 2011 08:35:11 Top