[Outlook] Issue with FireFox...

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

[Outlook] Issue with FireFox...

Wim W.A. ten Brink

Workshop Alex

Situation is simple. I start up the FireFox webbrowser and then use 'File/Send link' to email the link to someone else. What happens next is simple: FireFox will start Outlook and use Outlook to send the email. And Outlook then starts loading my add-in, doing a few things to synchronise it's data and it tries to contact some server to exchange the data with. This can be a bit slow, although all this runs in the background.

Is there a way to detect if Outlook is started from another application and thus prevent loading from the add-in?
With kind regards,
\/\//\ Workshop Alex
Posted 23 Feb, 2006 04:58:52 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Wim,

You can try to check OutlooApp.ActiveExplorer while initailizing the add-in. See the code below:

procedure TAddInModule.adxCOMAddInModuleAddInInitialize(Sender: TObject);
begin
  if OutlookApp.ActiveExplorer
<>
nil then begin
    Flag := True;
    // DoContactSomeServer
    // 
    // ...
  end;
end;

Posted 23 Feb, 2006 09:07:30 Top
Wim W.A. ten Brink

Workshop Alex

I also have a related problem with Firefox and Outlook. Outlook is set as the default email application in Windows 2000. Firefox is running but Outlook is not.

The user browses to a webpage (any webpage) and selects "File/Send link to" from the menu. (To send the URL to someone else.) Firefox then opens Outlook, creates the new email and when the user clicks the 'Send' button of the email item, it appears as if Outlook has disappeared again.
However, the task manager shows that Outlook is still running. With the Process Explorer from SysInternals I also notice that Outlook is a child process of Firefox. (Logical.)

Then, with Outlook still running as a child of Firefox, the user starts Outlook.

Now, my question is simple: How do I detect the user starting Outlook AFTER it has already been started from Firefox? Because at that moment I do want to initialize my own code.
With kind regards,
\/\//\ Workshop Alex
Posted 08 Mar, 2006 03:46:46 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Wim,

You can try to handle the OnOLNewExplorer or OnOLExplorerActivate events.

Posted 08 Mar, 2006 07:21:04 Top