Sometimes addin toolbar not appearing by default

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Sometimes addin toolbar not appearing by default

Phillippe Allen

We are having reports from some of our test users that when they do a brand new install of our addins, the toolbars are not always automatically appearing in Word. Instead, they have to go to Tools->Customise to get the toolbar to appear. Obviously we would like this to occur automatically for the user. Is there some property we need to set to ensure this happens. The toolbars are of type adxMsoBarFloating.

Regards
Phil
Posted 19 Feb, 2006 23:51:12 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Phil,

I have never faced such a strange behavior of toolbars. Please give me more information about the user reports. What Office versions do they have installed? What service packs for Office do they have? Does this happen immediatelly after installing the add-in or in a while? Did they have this add-in installed before or was it the first installation? Is your add-in registered for all PC users or for a current user only? What ADX version do you use?

Posted 20 Feb, 2006 09:16:21 Top
Phillippe Allen

Dmitry

At the moment it appears to be isolated to the one user. She is however our most experienced tester so I'm unwilling to discount her observation. What is happening is that when our addins were first installed on her clean machine (ie had just been re-imaged), they didnt appear in Word when it was opened. She had to customise the toolbars to make the addins's toolbar visible (ie they were installed but for some reason didnt automatically appear floating). Once the toolbar is made visible, it behaves as expected. Unfortunately we have been unable to reproduce this error on any other machines at the moment.

The addins were produiced with ADX2.3 in conjunction with Delphi V5.0.
The machine in question is Windows XP running Office 2003

Regards
Phil
Posted 20 Feb, 2006 16:44:41 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Phil,

I have just discussed the issue with our AbleBits.com support team and one of them recalled a similar issue. Our user instinctively closed a small new floating command bar immediately after installing the add-in and opening a host application (Excel in our case). Can it be the case?

I would recommend you using the adxMsoBarTop instead of adxMsoBarFloating and gather more information from your testers.

Posted 21 Feb, 2006 07:36:32 Top