Outlook Security Manager - License or royalty free?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Security Manager - License or royalty free?

Paul Parkins

I am using Outlook Security Manager v1.5 form my Delphi 5 application, which I believe to be royalty free.

However my users get an error "Outlook Security Manager is not found" which I presume means I have to install the secman.dll on all my users PCs.

How do I install this without attempting to install VCL support or asking my users for a license (I don't want to give out my developer license)?

Sorry if you've already replied to a previous similar post, but I am getting pressured for a release with a solution.
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 05:08:14 Top
Fernando Madruga

I would guess that you can try to include that DLL in your own installer program and maybe register it. Try 1st copying it manually to Windows\System32 on one user's machine, then lauch outlook and see if it works; if not, close outlook and try registering it (go to windows\System32 and type "regsvr32 secman.dll" on a command prompt).

I don't use OSM, but these two steps should work. As for the registration, it's probably only used for the VCL controls and not for the DLL itself.

HTH,
Fernando Madruga
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 06:51:04 Top
Fernando Madruga

Once you find how to make it work, just include it on the installer (you can find a free but very good and very lightweight installer here: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php.
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 06:54:21 Top
Paul Parkins

[QUOTE]
Hi Fernando, thanks for your reply. Do you work for Add-In-Express or just an interested & helpful user?

Although I hadn't tried it, I did guess that I could try to manually register the DLL, but I wanted an official answer so I knew I was not illegally distributing the DLL, however for some reason I seem to be getting no response from add-in-express (2 posts, 1 email). Offical response anyone?

Now I have registered the DLL I do not get the same error as before, but now find OpenDataSource is having no effect on Word2000. Two steps forward, and one step backwards :( Thanks again

Posted 04 Jan, 2006 09:12:31 Top
Fernando Madruga

Hi.

I'm just one user of Add-In Express (was thinking of using OSM too, but I found out that it could be exploitable, so I decided to go the "hard way" and do without it...)

Also, I decided to make a few posts/answers as I too noticed that Afalina people are busy with something else or maybe still on their Xmas hollidays... :)

As I said above, I don't use OSM, so I can't think of anything else to try. You can try to use Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) to see if secman.dll needs any additional DLL to be present on that system. Do both systems (devel and user) run the same OS version with the same patches applied?

Other than that, you'll have to wait on AfalinaSoft people...

Later,
Fernando Madruga
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 09:43:48 Top
Fernando Madruga

BTW: have you tried the Help file for any info on redistributing the DLL? Or maybe some README file on the installed folder? We programmers sometimes get into the metal without reading the instructions... :)

As for the "Royalty Free" question, that's what they say on the product page...
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 09:47:02 Top
Fernando Madruga

Found the answer: look http://www.add-in-express.com/docs/outlook-security-manager-delpoyment.php.

It's a page from AfalinaSoft explaining what to do. It's pretty much what I told you BUT you have to use a different secman.dll that is in the redistributable folder... (good ol' google does it again!)

Later,
Fernando Madruga
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 09:54:46 Top
Paul Parkins

Thanks once again Fernando. I don't have a redistributable folder for my Outlook Security Manager (maybe because I have a pre-release v1.5). I will distribute this one UNLESS add-in-express developers NOTIFY ME otherwise.

My current problem is a Word automation one, nothing to do with OSM I don't think. Unfortunately on my PC it works (Word2002) but my tester's it doesn't (Word2000).

Regards
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 11:13:30 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Paul,

Please have a look at page 23 of the OSM Developer's Guide. I hope it will help you to clear up your questions. As for the Redistributable subfolder please look it up more attentively in the installation folder of Outlook Security Manager, it should be there.

BTW, I haven't received your email message. Please resend it.

Posted 04 Jan, 2006 11:31:25 Top
Paul Parkins

Thanks Dmitry, I was looking in "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Outlook Security Manager" and not my installation folder - Duh!

Email wasn't to you direct, may even have gone to sales dept. Doesn't matter now as Fernando and yourself have now answer my query.
Posted 04 Jan, 2006 13:42:14 Top