Outlook stays in memory

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook stays in memory
How can I find out what is keeping it in memory? 
Fernando Madruga

I'm writing an Outlook add-in using Add-In Express VCL Edition. At the moment, I have yet to code a single line, but I'm drawing the options page for my add-in to display and I'm using some 3rd party components (Raize). I've tried unregistering/registering the add-in and the behaviour is the same: after I close Outlook, it stays loaded and I have to end-task it using Task Manager. It's not sending/receiving e-mails at the time.

What I would like to know is what could cause it to stay loaded and how can I "fix" that.

Fernando Madruga
Posted 28 Nov, 2005 12:37:23 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Fernando,

The possible causes I can think of right now:
- a service pack for Outlook is not installed.
- the 3rd party components.

So, I have questions for you. What Outlook version do you use (full version string please)? Could you please try to compile our MyFirstOlAddIn example (see the QDemo\OutlookAddIn subfolder) and test it.

Please let me know about the results.

Posted 28 Nov, 2005 12:59:38 Top
Fernando Madruga

Outlook 2003 (11.6568.6568) SP2
Windows XP Pro SP2.

All MSFT products are fully updated as I use Microsoft Update and the only thing "missing" is .Net runtime 2.0 as I don't need it.

I've since unregistered my add-in, compiled and registered your sample outlook add-in, registered it, and outlook terminates properly.

I've since tried removing components and compiling/re-registering my add-in but I've yet to reach a conclusion... Isn't there a way to see "where" outlook is hanging on? This add/remove components/uses clauses, rebuild, re-try process is VERY annoying and takes a lot of time...

Fernando Madruga
Posted 28 Nov, 2005 14:43:10 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Fernando,

Isn't there a way to see "where" outlook is hanging on? This add/remove components/uses clauses, rebuild, re-try process is VERY annoying and takes a lot of time...

I don't know such a way. This is debugging.... And it really takes a lot of time.

Besides 3rd party components, your code may also cause Outlook freezing. Check up and make sure you release ALL used Outlook interfaces and objects.

Posted 29 Nov, 2005 07:04:17 Top
Fernando Madruga

The problem is that I have 0 (zero) code!

I was just setting up the UI, placing components on the options page form. I don't mind debugging, but this way is a bit more awkward than it should be. I'm currently trying to use a 3rd party logging tool, but even that is not working ok! :(

I'll let you know more when I can find out what is causing the lockup. I just whished there was some other way of finding out what is going on... Maybe I have to take this project to a friend's computer that has SoftIce and use his expertise on that to see if I can find the lockup...

In the meantime, does your add-in code have some special requirements that other components must do or not do in order to work ok? Can you think of what may be causing this, since I have yet to write a single line of code?

On another issue, I've had a strange problem where I had a Raize Component's Button on that options page and the component only appeared after I clicked somewhere in that option page (I only had the sample edit your wizard places and that button I placed, and I even tried unregistering/re-registering and the same thing happened...)

Later,
Fernando Madruga
Posted 29 Nov, 2005 11:09:30 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Fernando,

In the meantime, does your add-in code have some special requirements that other components must do or not do in order to work ok? Can you think of what may be causing this, since I have yet to write a single line of code?

Our code doesn?Â?Ð?ét require anything special. I only can assume that the 3rd party components you use cannot work with TActiveForm because the option page in Outlook is TActiveForm.

On another issue, I've had a strange problem where I had a Raize Component's Button on that options page and the component only appeared after I clicked somewhere in that option page (I only had the sample edit your wizard places and that button I placed, and I even tried unregistering/re-registering and the same thing happened...)

I think this proves once again that the Raize components can't work with TActiveForm.

I can suggest you to refuse from the idea of using an option page and add a button to the Tools menu item of Outlook, that being clicked shows the TForm-based dialog box.

Posted 29 Nov, 2005 11:35:27 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Fernando,

Which of the Raize components do you use on your option page? I will try to test a trial version of Raize components.

Posted 29 Nov, 2005 11:55:16 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Fernando,

I have just tested the trial version of Raize components. In my case I used TRzButton component only. It works, Outlook closes correctly. Please specify what exactly components do you use in your option page?

BTW, the problem with button appearing on the option page (TActiveForm) exists.
Posted 29 Nov, 2005 13:24:04 Top
Fernando Madruga

It's a bit weird, and I've yet to make a conclusion, but it looks as if the problem is somehow related to RzTreeVw unit. You can possibly reproduce it by placing a TRzTreeView on the options page and running the add-in. Outlook stays in memory.

In fact, the same problem occurs even AFTER removing the component from the form (which does not remove the unit from the uses clause). The most weird thing is that that particular unit has nothing in the initialization/finalization sections!

I've looked into the uses clause and the only units not yet in use by my dll are IniFiles and Registry, but I tried adding these two to my dll and it works...

This one is really driving me nuts...
Posted 29 Nov, 2005 20:14:10 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Fernando,

Yes, you are right, after adding the TRzTreeView component on the options page Outlook stopped closing for me. Since I have a trial version of Raize components I don't have the source files and can't see what's happening there. May be it makes sense to contact the Raize support service and ask them to explain why the problem occurs.

BTW, I have tried the TRzTreeView component on a simple TForm and the result is the same, Outlook remains in the memory after closing.

Posted 30 Nov, 2005 07:09:38 Top