Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Add-in not initialising
Outlook Add-in does not initialise if Outlook automated by another app 
Roger Middlebrook

I have a standalone application (APP1) that calls:

OutlookApp.Connect;
MailItem := OutlookApp.CreateItem(olMailItem) as _MailItem;
{etc to display mail item in inspector}...

where OutlookApp is a TOutlookApplication.

I also have several different COM Add-ins for Outlook that use AddIn Express.

In ALL of these COM Add-ins, AddIn Express (v1 or v2) fails to initialise when APP1 calls Outlook. Also, if Outlook is then run while the inspector called by APP1 is open, AddIn Express still fails to initialise.

What can I do to make sure my add-ins initialise?

Please note that APP1 is just my way of reproducing this problem. My customers have commercial applications that call Outlook and cause the same problem - my add-ins don't initialise.
Posted 25 May, 2005 09:15:03 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Roger,

About a 2 week ago you contacted us via email with a similar problem. In my email from 5/18/2005 2:04PM I reported you the problem is fixed and offered to send an update. Getting no answer from you I assumed it was not urgent and you could wait for the upcoming release. Is it the same problem?

Posted 25 May, 2005 09:43:00 Top
Roger Middlebrook

This is slightly different. In the previous problem the OnAddInInitialize DID fire when Outlook started without an active explorer, but not when Outlook was actually launched (presumably because it had already fired).

I found a way around this myself, not because you were slow, but because the problem proved so urgent that I had to provide a fix there and then.

In this new problem the OnAddInInitialize does not fire at all.

Sorry if I have caused confusion. Please send me the update and I will see if it fixes this too.
Posted 25 May, 2005 10:11:32 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Roger,

I have just sent.

Posted 25 May, 2005 10:22:55 Top