Delphi 7 Locks up with Add-In Express Outlook Add-IN project

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Delphi 7 Locks up with Add-In Express Outlook Add-IN project

I am having a problem with developing an Outlook Add-In with Add-In Express in Delphi 7 Enterprise. I have the VCL product installed. I have been able to create an Add-In without any problem up to a point. But all of a sudden after registering the server, my computer is completely locking up Delphi 7. The first signs of this was after having a number of units in my project, I could no longer SAVE the Project. Then I started to delve deeper into this, and found out that it has something to do with the registration of the ActiveX Server. So I tried to unregister it. Its locking up in the same manner with that too.

If I try the command:

TREGSVR -u MyAddIn.dll

It says that it has unregistered it successfully, but then locks up. If I try and do this from the Delphi 7 IDE, I get the same lockup problem.

Any ideas?

Myles

The
Posted 14 May, 2005 14:36:21 Top

Are you running any kind of anti-virus, firewall, AdWatch monitoring, etc that might be causing the lockup. I found that McAfee would interrupt the script that Add-In Express runs from the Delphi IDE every time I tried to unregister an add-in, but it didn't happen with regserv.

Nick
Posted 14 May, 2005 18:31:46 Top

TRegSrv and Unregistering the ActiveX Server in Delphi 7 have the identical lock up problem. As a test, I installed D7 and Add-In express on a clean computer and so far no problems at all. But it could also be some conflict with other components on D7. I also have Code Rush installed. I'm not sure if there are any known incompatibilities with that. Otherwise I do have McAfee on that computer, and also Zone Alarm. I've tried unregistering the server with both disabled and it made little difference.

I'm not sure if its related or not, but simply adding a new unit to the project and then trying to save gives the same lockup problem.

Myles
Posted 14 May, 2005 21:05:21 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Myles and Nick,

It is a very strange situation you described here. Delphi 7 is a favorite IDE.

What host application do you develop for? I suppose that McAfee can trace COM add-ins unregistrations if they have non temporary command bar controls. For example Add-in Express runs Word when a Word add-in is "unregistering" to remove non temporary command bars. The same for any add-ins that have non temporary command bars.

Considering the described above and that usually Outlook add-ins have temporary controls I don't think McAfee is a reason of the problem.

Myles, Add-in Express provides an easy way to debug your add-ins including Add-in Express's code. Simply add Add-in Express's source folder to the library path, rebuild your project, set breakpoint into the TadxFactory.UpdateRegistry method, set the Run Parameter as regsvr32.exe /u youraddin.dll and finally run your project. I think it is very usual action for you. I am sure it will help you to find out something...

Please let us know if you face any problems.

I'm not sure if its related or not, but simply adding a new unit to the project and then trying to save gives the same lockup problem.

Could you please try to create in Delphi an ordinary ActiveX library with one Automation Object and register/unregister it. Does it work on your machine?

Posted 15 May, 2005 06:38:27 Top
Myles

I was finally able to get this to work. I ended up doing a fresh install of Delphi 7 on a totally clean computer, and then installed Add-In Express. Now its fine. So there is something conflicting between my normal Delphi development system and Add-In Express. But for now, I'm happy to at least be able to continue developing.

Myles
Posted 16 May, 2005 17:47:14 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Myles,

I am glad everything works now. Could you please email me what third-party components are installed in your "normal Delphi development system". We will try to reproduce the situation and find out the possible reasons of such abnormal behavior.

Posted 17 May, 2005 07:18:24 Top