Will my code work with this component?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Will my code work with this component?

Jon Gill

Hi,

I've read with interest about your mail security component for use with Outlook 2002 and above. However I have some questions that need clarification before I purchase.

Many of my clients use Outlook versions ranging from Outlook 97 to Outlook 2003. Will it work with all of these? Of course, 97 had no security features, so what happens if this is called, do we get a big system crash or is the error trapped and handled?

Below is the code within Delphi that I use to pass an attachment to a new email within Outlook.

try
Outlook := GetActiveOleObject('Outlook.Application');
except
Outlook := CreateOleObject('Outlook.Application');
end;
MailItem := Outlook.CreateItem(olMailItem);
MailItem.Recipients.Add('someone@somewhere.com');
MailItem.Subject := 'Test email with attachment';
MailItem.Body := 'Is this working?';
MailItem.Attachments.Add 'c:\somefile.txt');
mailitem.display;
Outlook := Unassigned;

The above code works very well, but obviously raises the Outlook 2002/03 security warning. If I use your component, am I able to still use my existing code (which is preferred) to access Outlook. Does your component simply "switch off" Outlook security whilst I perform my actions above and then "switch on" security after my code has executed?

Furthermore, what happens if microsoft change the way security works? Will you be issuing free upgrades to registered users to ensure compatibility?

I look forward to your reply.

thank you

Jon
Posted 11 Mar, 2005 13:43:59 Top
Eugene Starostin

Hello Jon,

Yes, it will work with you code. Simply nothing will happen on Outlooks that don't have the security patch installed. :-)

Furthermore, what happens if microsoft change the way security works? Will you be issuing free upgrades to registered users to ensure compatibility?

I suppose we will offer free upgrades for all our customers. We haven't discussed this yet. That is why it can be changed as all things in the world :-)
Posted 11 Mar, 2005 16:08:30 Top
Eugene Starostin

As for free upgrades. I have just had a look at http://www.add-in-express.com/purchase/. There is free upgrade to any versions. Yeah... :-)

Posted 11 Mar, 2005 16:14:42 Top
Jon Gill

Exellent, just what I wanted to hear. In that case, my order will follow shortly.

Jon
Posted 11 Mar, 2005 16:29:02 Top
Jon Gill

Actually, slight problem.

I use delphi 6, enterprise edition. Don't really want to update to pack 2 as I have lots of components registered within Delphi, and from my experience of upgrades the first thing that happens is components disappear.

Is it absolutely crucial that I have update pack 2 to run the vcl or will it work with the standard Delphi 6 enterprise edition.

Jon
Posted 11 Mar, 2005 16:41:18 Top
Eugene Starostin

It will not work on your delphi 6 because it is compiled under update pack 2.
Posted 11 Mar, 2005 18:07:45 Top
Eugene Starostin

Hmm... We will discuss the problem and I will let you know about the result on Monday. Will it acceptable for you if we compile outlook security manager without update pack 2 and send you dcu files?
Posted 11 Mar, 2005 18:16:40 Top
Jon Gill

Yes, that would be great if it works!

Let me know if it works ok and I'll place the order.

thanks

Jon
Posted 11 Mar, 2005 18:28:48 Top
Jon Gill

Any news about compiling under the standard version of Delphi 6 Enterprise edition WITHOUT update pack 2?

I'm very keen to purchase if this can be done!

thanks

Jon
Posted 14 Mar, 2005 13:13:23 Top
Eugene Starostin

Hi Jon,

Yes, it possible. We support several separate packages for our premium subscribers. That is why pay attention please to premium support service subscription.
Posted 14 Mar, 2005 13:25:05 Top