Error running upgraded Outlook Add-In

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Error running upgraded Outlook Add-In

David Zoller

Greetings,
Just upgraded to 2007 VCL Standard and successfully compiled an Outlook Add-In built with 2.6.

I have to manually go in to the Outlook advanced options and try to start the plug in from with in the "COM Add-Ins". Stepping with debug, some time after the TadxFactory gets created, I get an EReadError with message "Error reading AddInModule.TaskPanes: Property TaskPanes does not exist".

Any suggestions? From what I have read I should not have to start from scratch and rebuild add-in.

Thanks,
David
Posted 10 Apr, 2007 15:13:00 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

The TaskPanes is a new property of the TAddinModule component and it is stored in the dfm file. So, please try to open your add-in module at design-time, save it, rebuild and retest your project.

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.

Posted 11 Apr, 2007 07:04:59 Top
David Zoller

Hi Dmitry,
I have gone back and deleted all traces of the old version of ADX in case it was picking up an old adxAddIn.dcu and removed and reinstalled the latest version again as well. I then added a couple of test TaskPanes and saved the form and then verified that they were there by viewing the form as text...

Now when I run it in debug (I still have to manually try to add it via Outlook Advanced Options), after it creates the TAdxFactory and I continue the run I do not get any errors but it does not show up in the list of COM add-ins in outlook and does not show up in Outlook.

It does not even break at the OnCreate or OnAddInInitialize methods. Control returns to Outlook and you can exit the options windows. The Add In does not show up but I can view emails and such but if I go and click on the Start button on the task bar :| then Outlook throws an "access violation at 0x0d0fea34: read of address 0x0d05ea34".

If I try to install the add-in outside of debug, then Outlook gets an error and prompts to restart.

If you have any suggestions I will try them. In the mean time I guess I will start from scratch and see if I can zero in on the problem.

Thanks,
David

red While I was looking at the problem I downloaded the latest ADX Toys for VCL and compared the ExtMAPI files to see if they had changed. They are all the same except for red which has several values truncated compared to the older version that I have. You might want to check it and if you need the older version of the file jsut let me know.
Posted 11 Apr, 2007 12:07:28 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

Really strange issue. Could you please send me your project (or some demo project with the same bahavior) for testing?

Posted 12 Apr, 2007 06:18:37 Top
David Zoller

Dmitry,
Sorry - my company won't let me send you the project that doesn't work...

Starting from scratch and doing a lot of cutting and pasting is working so far. If I run across the problem I will let you know what it is. If the new project works fine and I don't figure out what the hang up was then I will try to cut down the old project to the bare minimum and send it to you.

Thanks,
David
Posted 12 Apr, 2007 09:27:00 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

If the new project works fine and I don't figure out what the hang up was then I will try to cut down the old project to the bare minimum and send it to you.

Ok, thanks, I am very interested to find out what happened with your old project.

Posted 13 Apr, 2007 06:16:55 Top
David Zoller

Greetings Dmitry,
I was able to create a new project from scratch and pulled everything in from the old project and it all worked like a champ.

I then went back and started experimenting with the old project and was finally able to figure out what was happening. When we had the 2.6 version of ADX we had the source code so every time the project was built it would compile the ADX source and put the DCU file in the locel directory. When we upgraded to version 3.04 we did not get the source code so the ADX DCU files in the local directory were not being recompiled. After deleting the DCU files from the local directory the old project works fine.

Thanks and I hope I didn't waste too much of your time,
David
Posted 17 Apr, 2007 14:45:28 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi David,

Thank you for the notification.

Posted 18 Apr, 2007 07:28:11 Top