Uninstalling the add-ins the hard way

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Uninstalling the add-ins the hard way

momsoft

Hi,

At this precise moment I am stuck with two test add-ins I made to try the new version of ADX. I know that I will eventually get rid of them but I am fearing a support nightmare if this happens to some of my users, therefore I'd like to make a utility that makes sure that the add-in gets uninstalled the hard way, i.e. deleting all and every instance of the add-in the registry.

Does anybody use something like this?

If not, How do you guys cope with this situation?

On another, related, issue. What is the current consensus regarding the temporary / non-temporary status of toolbar controls. I have read several messages in this forum regarding this issue but I am not totally sure about the implications of either approach.

Thank you very much in advance,

- Manuel Onate
Posted 10 Jan, 2007 16:26:26 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Manuel,

Usually, the COM Add-in unregistration cleans all registry branches. Does your add-in actively use the registry and "leave litter about"?

As to temporary: what host application are you interested in?

P.S. Note that we take up your forum requests in the order we receive them.
Besides, it may take us some time to investigate your issue. Please be sure we will let you know as soon as the best possible solution is found.

Posted 11 Jan, 2007 06:16:37 Top
Fernando Madruga

If you use an installer (even the free http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php which is very good) that usually is not a problem.

You can even check for previous versions and uninstall them if found, and check for running applications and close them to properly install/uninstall.

Later,
Fernando Madruga

BTW: You can probably use another free tool to monitor registry changes such as http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/Regmon.mspx
formerly from SysInternals and now acquired by Microsoft! :)

But I would refrain from directly using the registry for doing that as it may break something on Vista and then you're exchanging some set of problems for another set...
Posted 11 Jan, 2007 12:37:49 Top
Fernando Madruga

Fernando Madruga wrote:
BTW: You can probably use another free tool to monitor registry changes such as RegMon formerly from SysInternals and now acquired by Microsoft! :)

Make that http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/SystemInformation/processmonitor.mspx for recent (Win2k+) OSes...

Later,
Fernando Madruga
Posted 11 Jan, 2007 12:43:26 Top
momsoft

Dmitry,

Usually, the COM Add-in unregistration cleans all registry branches. Does your add-in actively use the registry and "leave litter about"?

Yes, usually it does. But not always.

I *never* use the registry if I am not forced to do so. I don't like the idea of the registry at all.

What I am looking for is for a "no questions asked, guaranteed way" of removing any trace of a previously installed add-in. I'd hate to have to explain to a customer what the registry is and how to access it (assuming s/he had the permissions to do so).

As to temporary: what host application are you interested in?

So far, I am working with Word and PowerPoint, but I am planning on a new Outlook add-in.

Thank you very much,

- Manuel Onate
Posted 11 Jan, 2007 15:58:17 Top
momsoft

Fernando,

You can even check for previous versions and uninstall them if found, and check for running applications and close them to properly install/uninstall.

That's an interesting approach. I'll look into it. I could tell the user to reinstall and uninstall again. Inno setup has not the greatest help but there is a forum where I could ask for advice. Thank you very much for your comment.

- Manuel Onate
Posted 11 Jan, 2007 15:58:44 Top
Fernando Madruga

momsoft wrote:
InnoSetup has not the greatest help but there is a forum where I could ask for advice.

While you're at it, download the ISTool package that includes a more visual front-end to InnoSetup.

Thank you very much for your comment.

Np.

Later,
Fernando Madruga
Posted 11 Jan, 2007 21:25:37 Top
momsoft

Fernando,

Thank you. I already have (and use) ISTool.

Regards,

- Manuel Onate
Posted 12 Jan, 2007 05:51:27 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Manuel,

So far, I am working with Word and PowerPoint, but I am planning on a new Outlook add-in.

I would recommend the following Temporary settings:
* Outlook: Temporary := True.
* Word: Temporary := False if you add controls to the native MS Word command bars (Standard, Formatting, etc.). If you use your own command bar then it's up to you True or False.
* PowerPoint: it's up to you True or False.

Posted 12 Jan, 2007 06:01:41 Top
momsoft

Dmitry,

Thank you very much.
Posted 13 Jan, 2007 06:33:20 Top