Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problem with registering plugin in Outlook
Problem registering plugin in Outlook 
Dominique Bernaert

Hi,

I'm having a rather urgent problem.
I must be doing something wrong.
I've created a plug-in for Outlook last year that has only one function: the user selects a mail and clicks the plugin shortcut in Outlook, the plugin then exports the msg file to a specific directory and starts an external application to process the msg file.

I needed to make some changes to the plugin today, so compiled the code without problems.
Then tried to install the plugin using innosetup in a virtual machine, but I can't get the plugin to show up in Outlook.
I've tried the option register for all users and not.
I must be doing something wrong as I had this working in the past.

I was wondering if it would be possible to take a look at the code and maybe the innosetup script what I'm doing wrong?
I'm on a deadline for this one by the end of the week.

Thank you,
Bernaert Dominique
Posted 27 May, 2021 05:07:11 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dominique,

By default when the installer registers the add-in, an adxregistrator.log file is created; the default location is %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer. Or, if you use a previous adxregistrator.exe version, this file is put in {My Documents}\Add-in Express\adxregistrator.log in the profile of the user who runs the installer.

Similarly, *whenever* Outlook loads your add-in, an adxloader.log is created; the default location is %temp%\{AssemblyProduct attribute; see AssemblyInfo}\adxloader.log or {My Documents}\Add-in Express\adxloader.log in the profile of the user who starts Outlook.

Reinstall your add-in, start Outlook and, while Outlook is still running, send me these files to the support email address; find it in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt. Make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Dominique Bernaert writes:
I've tried the option register for all users and not.

I assume you know whether your add-in is per user or per machine. Also, I suggest that you follow their instruction at https://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-guide/qa-addin-express-installation.html.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 27 May, 2021 07:03:30 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dominique,

Ah, ignore my previous message: it relates to .NET while you use Delphi.

Did you start Delphi via 'Start as administrator'?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 May, 2021 07:21:56 Top
Dominique Bernaert

No,

I did not, could that be the reason?

Dominique
Posted 27 May, 2021 09:08:10 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dominique,

Yes, it may.

Try to start Delphi via 'Start as administrator'? Also, make sure you start Outlook NOT elevated.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 27 May, 2021 10:13:02 Top
Dominique Bernaert

Hi Andrei,

I've recompiled the dll's both 32-bit and 64-bit running Delphi as administrator.
I created the install again with Innosetup and ran it in the virtual machine containing Outlook.
Same result.
I then unregistered the dll in the vmware and copied the correct dll over manually (64-bit) and registered the dll.
Now the plugin appears in Outlook.

So, the cause of the problem is partly fixed:

1. It seems that running Delphi in administrator mode solves the problem
2. The installer does not seem to detect if Outlook is 32-bit or 64-bit or there is a problem in my script.

Can I send you my script?

Dominique
Posted 27 May, 2021 22:45:16 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dominique,

1) your installer should also check for Office 16.0; such a check covers Office 2016, 2019 and 365 (desktop applications).

2) that code won't work with a Click-to-Run Office version. In my registry I have this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook

Andrei Smolin
Posted 28 May, 2021 03:49:52 Top