Adxtoys2 problem registering

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Adxtoys2 problem registering

Dominique Bernaert

Hello,

I've downloaded the Adxtoys2 and it installs fine in Outlook.
I've tried to compile the sources but when I try to register the ActiveX server i get an error that the registration fails.
I've tried this in both 32-bit and 64-bit in Delphi 10.4.

When I create a new project, I can compile it and register it.
But when launching Outlook 2019 I don't see the plugin and if I look at the com add-ins, it is listed but not loaded, indicating runtime error.

How can I solve this?
I'm stuck.

Thank you,

Bernaert Dominique
Posted 12 Sep, 2020 06:29:03 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Bernaert,

I've installed adxtoys2ol and found a file missing in the source code project. Find that file at http://temp.add-in-express.com/support/adxtoys2ol_Icon.ico. After I put it to the folder where .dproj locates, the project compiles and registers for me.

Re your other project. Make sure you start Delphi via the Run as Administrator option.

If this doesn't apply or doesn't help, send me your test project to the support email address; find it in {Add-in Express installation folder}\readme.txt; please make sure your email contains a link to this topic.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Sep, 2020 03:32:19 Top
Dominique Bernaert

Hi Andrei,

I've seemed to be have found the problem.

I have a 64-bit version of Office installed...
I guess I better install a 32-bit version for development.

Thank you for the reply.

I don't know if you guys can help me get on the road quickly with a project.

I need to create a plug-in for Microsoft Outlook.
The function of the plug-in is to process the mails in the inbox of the user.
When the user selects a mail, there should be somekind of panel next to the mail that shows possible matches in the central database. The database is hosted by us in a datacenter.
We have the webservice already available to do the queries.
The possible matches should be shown in the panel.
Here the user should have the option to select a possible match and have the following options:
- transfer the mail and all the attachments
- transfer the mail
- transfer 1 or more attachments that he can select.

The webservice is then responsable to transfer the objects.
Normally we store the mails on the server in eml format, I don't know if it is possible to get the complete mail in eml format and transfer it.

So in large I need to create 2 things:

1. Some kind of configuration screen where the user can enter his credentials to access the webservice (1 item)
2. The panel which can extract the different parts and transfer them to the server

Would be great if you guys could lead me in the right direction.

Thx,
Dominique
Posted 14 Sep, 2020 05:29:50 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Dominique,

On how to create a pane, check section Step #15 ?Â?Ð?ã Adding Custom Task Panes in Outlook 2000-2019; see the PDF file in the folder {Add-in Express}\Docs on your development PC.

As to your add-in, you should 1) scan existing items in the folder and 2) scan new items added to the folder.

To solve 1), you should be prepared to scan an extensive set of emails, say, 100 000 or more items. This may take a lot of time to scan them. You must do this on the main thread as Office object models aren't thread-safe. To let the user work while your add-in scans emails, you should process the emails in batches so that the add-in processes the next batch for e.g. 500 ms and then waits (thus letting the Outlook UI to work) for another 500 ms. Also, you should modify a processed email so that you do not process it twice. Also, save some info about emails processed should be stored somewhere. Find an explanation of this as well as a solution for 2) at https://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2011/11/10/outlook-newmail-custom-solution/. That page is in .NET but the idea is clear plus you'll find how to use some required calls to the Outlook object model.

Dominique Bernaert writes:
So in large I need to create 2 things:

You can use two UserControl objects to show them on the pane so that the login UserControl is shown until the user logs in.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 14 Sep, 2020 07:22:31 Top