Problem with Word Add-In when using Embedded Documents

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Problem with Word Add-In when using Embedded Documents

Mark Stevens

I came across a strange problem with a Word Add-In which I'm unable to solve. I don't know if you could throw any light onto this?

The problem occurs when I have a Word document that has another Word document embedded in it (via Insert Object). This object is linked by the way.

After saving and closing the document, as far as Delphi is concerned the Add-In has closed but actually WinWord.exe is still running. When I put my trace onto it, I can see it that the Add-In isn't triggering the OnAddInFinalize event at all.

Have you come across this before? Can you think of anything I can try to make sure Word actually exits?

Thanks
Posted 07 Sep, 2020 10:55:35 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mark,

We have never been reported about this issue. The last Word issue that we faced was a hanging winword.exe process because of the enabled Preview Pane in Windows Explorer. Do you have Preview Pane on or off?
Posted 08 Sep, 2020 03:36:16 Top
Mark Stevens

Hi Dmitry

The preview pane is off.

It only happens when I insert an object into a Word document. The object I'm inserting is another Word document.

I've turned off all my events, so my AddIn effectively does nothing.

When I close and save the document, WinWord.exe is still running and my AddIn dll is very active in Process Explorer. This is Word 2010 btw.

Any ideas?
Posted 08 Sep, 2020 05:55:25 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the details.

I have tested an empty COM add-in with Word for Microsoft 365 (version 2008) and did not reproduce the issue. I think either there is a bug in Word 2010 or I did something wrong during testing. Please let me know:
- What Add-in Express version do you use? I tested the latest 9.3.1660.
- Which of our components and/or panes do you have in your project.
- How exactly did you embed one document into another? Could you please send both your documents to me?
- What exactly steps shall I perform during testing?
Posted 08 Sep, 2020 09:59:35 Top