[Outlook 2016 x64] Access Violation on ASMX service call

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

[Outlook 2016 x64] Access Violation on ASMX service call
 
Mykhaylo Boreyko




Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-09-26
Hello guys,

I have Outlook add-in that calls to ASMX service to do some actions.
And add-in works fine on all Office versions (2010, 2013, etc), I think it even works on 32-bit Outlook 2016.
But it crashes on the call to that service on 64-bit Outlook 2016 with error 'c0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION'.


I've upgraded my subscription and downloaded a new version (8.3.1441) of the product with hope that it will help.
But with this version add-in still crashes.
I use Delphi XE3 on Windows 10.

This is sample add-in project that crashes on call to ASMX method Add

Can you help me with this issue?
Posted 15 May, 2018 01:55:44 Top
Andrei Smolin


Add-in Express team


Posts: 15707
Joined: 2006-05-11
Hello Mykhaylo,

Is there a certain code line responsible for the issue?

Actually, I would recommend reparing installations of all software products involved in your task on that machine; start with reparing Office.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 May, 2018 02:10:44 Top
Mykhaylo Boreyko




Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-09-26
Hello Andrei,

The error occurs on line

res := soap.Add(3, 4);


Well, I can try to repair my Office installation, but the same issue happens on client machines and I'm not sure they can repair their installations.
Posted 15 May, 2018 02:29:58 Top
Andrei Smolin


Add-in Express team


Posts: 15707
Joined: 2006-05-11
Hello Mykhaylo,

Does the same issue occur if you use a simple VCL Forms Application to call that web service and test the application under Target PlatForm (Win64)?

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 May, 2018 03:52:33 Top
Mykhaylo Boreyko




Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-09-26
Andrei,

No VCL Forms Application works without issues.
I've updated the sample project and added VCL test
Posted 15 May, 2018 04:15:34 Top
Mykhaylo Boreyko




Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-09-26
Andrei,

I just did Outlook 2016 installation repair.
But this has not solved the issue.

Delphi XE3 is a fresh install, I used XE2 before, so I don't think I need to reinstall this also, should I?
Posted 15 May, 2018 04:27:15 Top
Andrei Smolin


Add-in Express team


Posts: 15707
Joined: 2006-05-11
Hello Mykhaylo,

FYI, we can't reproduce the issue using Delphi 10.2 on Outlook 2016 build 16.0.9330.2014 64 bit. Later today, we will check your code with Delphi XE3. Will let you know. We suppose this is a Delphi issue as our code seemingly is not involved.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 May, 2018 04:36:19 Top
Andrei Smolin


Add-in Express team


Posts: 15707
Joined: 2006-05-11
Hello Mykhaylo,

We've reproduced the issue with Delphi XE3. We think the issue relates to Delphi itself. We suppose that unlike a VCL Forms application, the Outlook add-in may use large addresses; see Large Address Aware in Outlook 2016.

You can try to use debug DCUs to locate the issue in the source code of Delphi. Or, you can switch to a newer Delphi version.

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 16 May, 2018 05:04:14 Top
Mykhaylo Boreyko




Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-09-26
Hello Andrei,

I've tried Delphi 10.2 Tokyo and indeed issue is resolved in this version.
Thanks.

P.S.
Before Delphi 10.2 I tried Delphi 10 Seattle and issue still exists in that version.
Posted 18 May, 2018 02:23:59 Top
Andrei Smolin


Add-in Express team


Posts: 15707
Joined: 2006-05-11
You are welcome!

Regards from Belarus (GMT+3),

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 May, 2018 02:30:35 Top