Challenges migrating to 64 bit Excel

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Challenges migrating to 64 bit Excel

George Spears

With Delphi Seattle, Windows10, and Office 2013 (32bit), I had a stable, working Excel 32 bit plugin. I have just done a complete system rebuild. I now have Windows 10, Delphi Seattle, Office 2016 64 bit, and the latest version of Add-In Express.I have rebuild my Office and Excel TLB files (had to use TLibImp since Excel is 64 bit). Application compiles. I go to CMD windows as Admin, and run "regsvr32 parlay.dll". I get a success message. That seems to be the end of my success... :(

When I run Excel, I have no plugin Menu showing. When I look at 'Manage / Com Add-Ins', Parlay does show, but I get a status of 'Load Behavior: Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In'.

As far as startup goes, if I go to Delphi, and look at all events of TAddInModule, I ONLY have OnAddInStartup. I comment EVERYTHING except the variable definitions out. I recompile, unregister/register... but I still get the same error when I look at the Comm Add In status; 'Load Behavior: Not Loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-In'.

I try to run the plugin with Debugging. As soon as I do, I get an error "Unable to create process: The request is not supported".

Note that this is compiling the plugin as a 32bit plugin. My understanding is that COM plugins can be either when the Application (Excel) is 64 bit. Is this accurate?

Regardless, How do I debug this, in general, and why can't I step through this in the Delphi debugger?

Thank you
Posted 30 Jan, 2018 10:20:51 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello George,

George Spears writes:
Note that this is compiling the plugin as a 32bit plugin. My understanding is that COM plugins can be either when the Application (Excel) is 64 bit. Is this accurate?

No, this isn't. You need to compile your project for the 64bit platform for your add-in to load in a 64bit application.

Your assumption would be true if you used .NET and built your add-in project for the Any CPU platform.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 31 Jan, 2018 06:03:16 Top
George Spears

OK. That solved my issue. Thank you.
Posted 08 Feb, 2018 09:45:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You are welcome!

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 09 Feb, 2018 06:58:23 Top