Adding help to my Add-In

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Adding help to my Add-In

momsoft

This is probably obvious and documented elsewhere but I don't find it (using help as a search keyword is not very useful).

The question are ¿How do I implement help for my just finished Add-In? I notice that help on Delphi is managed by TApplication and of course I don't have a TApplication since my Add-In is a DLL. And also, ¿What else should I take into account if I want to use (and I do) HTML Help rather than old-fashioned Win Help?
Posted 27 Sep, 2006 10:34:40 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi,

I am afraid I do not quite understand your question. There is MS HTML Help SDK. You can use this SDK/API to show your HTML help from your add-in. If you need something else, please specify.

Posted 27 Sep, 2006 12:24:27 Top
Nicholas Glasier

Firstly you can access the application object by using:
Application.Handle := GetActiveWindow; This will require you to add Forms to your uses clause.

for html help I use a freeware library I found on the web. Torrys has several at the moment, although not the one I use.
Torrys website is:
http://www.torry.net/quicksearchd.php?String=htmlhelp&Title=Yes
That will get a list of freeware.

If you want the one I use you'll have to give me somewhere to email it to
Regards Nick
Posted 27 Sep, 2006 17:17:01 Top
momsoft

Dmitry and Nicholas,

I am using a freeware library called SpHtmlHelp and have tried a couple others. I liked this one because it doesn't require to install a component on the component palette.

The first problem I encountered was that all implementations of HTML Help I have seen rely on Application.HelpSystem which is probably good because that should make easier to use F1, Shift-F1 and using HelpContext on individual controls if I later require these sort of features for my Add-In.

The trick mentioned by Nicholas seems to work but this particular library SpHtmlHelp is not working so please email it to me at monate@momsoftco.com.

Thank you both very much,

- Manuel Onate
Posted 28 Sep, 2006 05:12:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Nicholas and Manuel,

You can use the Send E-mail Message link at the left of the message.

HTH
Posted 28 Sep, 2006 07:17:59 Top
Nicholas Glasier

Andrei, Of course :-{ Thanks for that, I should have remembered, but I was reading the message from my inbox, not from the forum login.

Manuel. I have emailed you a zip file with the unit and an example in a text file. Nothing to add to your components, just include the unit in your uses clause. Let me know how you get on.

Regards Nick.
Posted 28 Sep, 2006 16:34:11 Top
momsoft

Nicholas,

Thank you very much. I have not received it, though. Could you please resend it.

Regards,

- Manuel Onate
Posted 28 Sep, 2006 16:41:51 Top
Nicholas Glasier

Your reply was very quick spo it could still be in transit. but I've resent it anyway to the addresss supplied in your message. The link in the forum doesn't appear to allow attachments.

Regards Nick
Posted 28 Sep, 2006 17:23:52 Top