Outlook Add-in Deployment w/o RegSrv32?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Add-in Deployment w/o RegSrv32?

Cory Osborn

I have an Outlook and Office Add-in we have been deploying to our customers for quite some time. We use an web-based ActiveX control for the end-users to access via to facilitate downloading and registering the add-ins.

A new customer would like to roll out the toolbar to its users, but their corporate policy does not allow the use of ActiveX controls. They would like to simply roll out registry updates via scrips to all users to register the COM controls, but only have those in a particular group (500 users vs 5000 corporate wide - the 500 would be the trial group) actually see the controls in Outlook (our add-in does not register for all users). Using regsrv32 would register the COM object, but also install the toolbar for the one user (plus I think their administrator wants to avoid that).

I tried doing some registry comparisons pre and post installation to see all keys created when registering the COM objects and segregating those that make the toolbar visible for a given user, but when duplicating the steps the buttons did not appear in the toolbar.

Is their anyway to do a automated installation of an Outlook Add-in w/o using regsrv32?
Posted 21 Sep, 2006 01:08:30 Top
Dmitry Kostochko

Add-in Express team

Hi Cory,

Is their anyway to do a automated installation of an Outlook Add-in w/o using regsrv32?

I think yes. You can try to call the exported DllRegisterServer function of your add-in.

Posted 21 Sep, 2006 07:05:39 Top