Outlook Addin not showing up anywhere

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Outlook Addin not showing up anywhere

Richard Stevens

Hi - bit stumped by this one.

We have a mature Outlook Addin which has been working well for a client of about 40 people for over a year, so we're quite familiar with the process of installing it etc.

A new client has requested a trial of it. Their PCs are much more "locked down" than the other client - they don't have local admin rights.

We have tried installing the addin the usual way, running a command script as Administrator and getting the "registration succeeded" message. But when we start Outlook - nothing. No mention of Addins being loaded in the splash screen. It's not listed in the Disabled addins. (Another Addin - Bluebeam - shows up ok.)

There is no "Addins" ribbon entry showing.

If we log into the same PC as the Admin user and install it, it's fine. The addin is there, and Addins shows a menu option on the Ribbon, but of course it's showing for the Admin user profile which isn't much use.

What have I missed? What can I try next? Suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Richard
Posted 15 Jul, 2016 09:30:25 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Richard,

Make sure sure registering the add-in creates the registry entries that it usually creates.

Is your add-in per-machine or per-user? Do you run the installer via the "Run as administrator" command or not? Is UAC enabled on that PC or not?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Jul, 2016 09:40:07 Top
Richard Stevens

Thanks for the quick reply Andrei,

Yes, it is definitely creating registry entries for the user. Whether it creates ALL of them I don't know - as I said we get the "Registration Succeeded" message. It is creating entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins - should I look anywhere else?

We did run the installer using "Run as Administrator" - this was simply a .cmd file containing the usual

c:\windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe "<PathToDll>"

I would be pretty certain UAC is enabled - as I said their PCs are quite locked down. Their IT people are reluctant to relax the security settings

Richard
Posted 15 Jul, 2016 09:49:57 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Richard,

Richard Stevens writes:
It is creating entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins

If HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\{your add-in's ProgId} contains the LoadBehavior value set to 3, then this is a per-user add-in ready to load. If so, make sure you start the host application non-elevated; check the shortcut you use to start the host application.

In the File | Options | Add-ins dialog, under what heading your add-in is listed? In the COM Add-ins dialog, select your add-in; what text is written in the bottom part of the dialog window?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 15 Jul, 2016 09:59:43 Top
Richard Stevens

You helped put us on the right track, by exporting the registry entries for the Admin user and importing them for the normal user, it now seems to be working.

Thank you. (Though I still don't really understand why the correct registry entries weren't created in the first place). Don't really want to have to do that for all users but I suppose we can automate it.

Richard
Posted 15 Jul, 2016 10:22:12 Top