Is anybody able to create addins that will run in Outlook 2010x64 at all?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Is anybody able to create addins that will run in Outlook 2010x64 at all?

Oliver Giesen

Disclaimer: I have already determined that this problem does not appear to be caused by or be related to ADX. I'm primarily asking here because this appeared to be the easiest way to get in touch with other people who might be creating addins with Delphi for Outlook 2010 64bit.

As far as I could tell, 64bit-addins created with Delphi will simply not work with Outlook 2010x64 at all: Not even a bare-bones minimum addin with nothing but an empty implementation of IDTExtensibility2 will work: Outlook will just immediately deactivate it on startup and set its LoadBehavior to 2. In the COM-Addin-Manager the text reads "Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM-Add-in."

[also see this question on Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/q/20000923/9784 for some things I already tried to pin this down]

I have now verified this on two independent VMs, both running Windows 7 Enterprise with the latest updates for both Windows and Office.

The same add-in works flawlessly with Outlook 2013x64!
Also, when I compile for 32bit, it will work in all 32bit versions of Outlook (including 2010) without any other changes.

The same behaviour can be observed with my actual full-blown ADX-based add-ins.

Any ideas what's going on there? Is this really this fundamental a problem or is it something in my test environments? In case of the latter: How do I find out what is causing this?

I'm primarily using Delphi XE3 at the moment but I have also already reproduced these results with an addin compiled with XE4.

Cheers,

Oliver
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 06:46:48 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Oliver,

We are now testing registering two add-ins created using XE3 and XE4 in Office 2010 64bit.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 07:27:35 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Oliver,

We've found no problems with these projects:

http://temp.add-in-express.com/support/MyAddin91.zip - XE3
http://temp.add-in-express.com/support/MyAddin92.zip - XE4

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 08:17:02 Top
Oliver Giesen

Thanks for the heads up!

Both of your addins also get deactivated immediately on startup in my Outlook 2010x64 test environments...

But if these do in fact work for you, it seems the problem then has to be my test environment... Do you have any ideas what I could be looking for (besides the things I already checked - see SO question linked in my OP)? These VMs are pretty much vanilla installs that were created from scratch exclusively for these tests...

There is no other software on there, i.e. also no antivirus (often mentioned in the context of LoadBehavior 2-issues).

Here are the version numbers of my test machines:
Windows: 6.1.7601 (SP1)
Outlook: 14.0.7106.5003 (SP2)

What did you test on?

Anyway, sounds like there's a good chance my addin will indeed work at customers'... ;) Still, I'd rather not release solely based on a "high likeliness" that I cannot verify myself... :-/

Cheers,

Oliver
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 08:45:46 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Oliver,

I don't think this depends on the Windows and Office builds. Look into File | Options | Trust Center | Macro Settings. I suppose you have the "Apply macro security settings to installed add-ins" check box ticked. If so, clear it.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 08:57:03 Top
Oliver Giesen

You had my hopes up for a second (even though it would have been somewhat embarrassing if that had been it)... but Macro Security settings are still at their default-at-installtime values, i.e. the option is already unticked. I would have expected a different error message if that had been the reason, too.

Is there really no way to somehow get more information about that "runtime error" that Outlook is complaining about?

Cheers,

Oliver
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 09:04:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

You can specify regsvr32.dll as the host application in the IDE and check what occurs when regsvr32 registers the add-in.

Is VBA installed in that Outlook?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 09:14:23 Top
Oliver Giesen

Andrei Smolin writes:
You can specify regsvr32.dll as the host application in the IDE and check what occurs when regsvr32 registers the add-in.
No errors occur during registration. Only when Outlook loads the DLL do things go awry. When I try to debug with Outlook.exe as the host the debugger never gets a chance as the DLL apparently gets unloaded again too early even for that (debugging with Outlook.exe as host works just fine when I do it on the Outlook 2013 test VM which was cloned from the exact same template as one of the two failing VMs).

Is VBA installed in that Outlook?
Yes, disabling it makes no difference, though.

Cheers,

Oliver
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 09:40:54 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Sorry for the mistake.

Are any add-ins enabled in your Outlook?

Is there a way for us to get hold of such a vistual machine?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 09:55:21 Top
Oliver Giesen

Andrei Smolin writes:
Are any add-ins enabled in your Outlook?
Only the ones that come with Outlook, i.e. BCS, Social Connector, etc. I already tried disabling all but the Microsoft Exchange Add-in, but to no avail.

Is there a way for us to get hold of such a vistual machine?
Sure, I should be able to run a TeamViewer instance or something similar in there. I guess we should continue via email or telephone in that case?

Cheers,

Oliver
Posted 18 Nov, 2013 10:09:09 Top