addin become inactive in outlook

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

addin become inactive in outlook

Yossi Mazal Tov

some of my clients work with notebook connected to the net.
when they leave the net and open the outlook the add-in become inactive (in word,excel,powerpoint it not happened).
when they connect again to the net, the add-in is still inactive and they have to mange it.
how do i automatically manage the add-in o become active when they connect to the net.
Posted 21 Mar, 2013 03:19:07 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Yossi,

I'm not sure that I understand you. It looks like something occurs with the add-in if you start the host application when the Internet connection is broken or turned off. Can you please explain what "become inactive" means? Does the add-in falls into "Disabled Items"? Is this a result of exception thrown by the add-in?

Is this behavior induced by your code or by some component that you use?

Am I right assuming that a new empty add-in doesn't show this behavior?

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 21 Mar, 2013 05:27:29 Top
Yossi Mazal Tov

i have imaging app.
part of the app is the add-in in outlook,excel,word,powerpoint.

the user can open new file or save the outlook message. and index the file in the app.

the instalation of the app is in the net. so all the files are in the net include
the outlook-add-in.dll and office-add-in-.dll.

when the user open is outlook in the notebook, disconnected from the net, the add-in become inactive.

after connecting to the net again and mange the add-in in the outlook the can see the add-in again.

what i want is to automatic mange the add-in so the user want have t mange it every time he connect to the net agian.
Posted 21 Mar, 2013 06:52:17 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you for the explanation. I suppose you've deployed the application and the add-in via ClickOnce with the option "The application is available online only" selected on the Publish tab of the application project's properties. Is this correct?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Mar, 2013 07:56:53 Top
Yossi Mazal Tov

hummm...???
it is delphi application (VCL).
the problem is in the ADD-IN and the OUTLOOK.

try build ADD-IN for outlook.
put in the network (work network - not web).
connect notebook to the network.
install the ADD-IN in the notebook.
open outlook.
the ADD-IN is ther.

close the outlook.
disconnect from the network.
open outlook.

there is NO ADD-IN. u can mange it to reapare but if u dont it is inactive.
even if u connect to the network (at work - not the web)
Posted 21 Mar, 2013 10:10:33 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Oh, I'm sorry for my mistake.

The problem occurs because Office doesn't try to re-enable an add-in which failed to load in the next session. You cannot influence this behavior. The only real way out is to install the add-in locally.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 21 Mar, 2013 11:14:28 Top
Yossi Mazal Tov

can i create add-in that check if the user connect to the network and check if the main add-in is present?
and if not - reinstall it?
Posted 21 Mar, 2013 11:40:32 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Yossi,

Although I don't know how to check if the user connects to the network but I believe yes, it is possible. I suppose that your helper add-in could set OutlookApp.COMAddIns.Item(strMainAddinProgId).Connect := true, not reinstall the add-in; please verify this.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 22 Mar, 2013 06:51:53 Top
Yossi Mazal Tov

there is no problem to check if i run with network connected.

the problem is - when outlook disable your ADD-IN there is no event fire in the addin to activate the addin :)

what if i write a little addin that allows will be in the local disk, and this addin will do the job?
this event will fire when outlook is loading. can it check for the disabled addin and activate it so the user
will see it immedate?

yossi
Posted 22 Mar, 2013 14:52:40 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

That was exactly what I meant: you don't need to wait for an event from the mainadd-in being disabled (in fact, there's no such event); instead, you check if the add-in is disabled on the startup of your helper add-in. There's a problem however: the order in which add-ins are loaded isn't defined. That is, it may occur that your helper add-in is loaded before the main add-in gets disabled. For this reason, I would suggest that you enable the main add-in in the AddinStartupComplete event of the add-in module. This event is the very last event in the sequence of events that occur while the add-in is being loaded.

Hope this helps.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 25 Mar, 2013 04:00:08 Top