Can COM add-ins add UI to the Excel 2013 trial version?

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Can COM add-ins add UI to the Excel 2013 trial version?

David Heffernan

I have an Excel COM add-in built with ADX. The version that I am shipping to clients is compiled with XE2 and built off v7.00-b1210. The add-in adds a new ribbon page. A client has reported that the ribbon page does not show on Excel 2013, even though the add-in is loaded and active.

So, I have downloaded the only Excel 2013 that I can get my hands on which is a trial version. I don't have access to volume licensing. And I can see what the customer sees. The add-in is loaded and active. But no ribbon is shown.

I added some debug diagnostics and can see that my code sets the Visible property of the TadxRibbonTab object to True.

I'm wondering whether I should expect this to work at all. Will the Trial version of Excel allow a COM add-in to add new tabs to the ribbon?

I downloaded v7.03-b1213 and tried re-building with that. I observed the same behaviour. In any case I would expect a COM add-in that was built to target Excel 2007/2010 to work in 2013. MS are usually pretty good at that sort of compatibility. I realise that I need the latest ADX code to take advantage of Excel 2013 features, but I don't actually want to do that.
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 05:42:53 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello David,

I haven't heard about these restrictions in trial Office versions.

Are you saying that the add-in is listed under Active Application Add-ins in File | Options | Add-ins? If yes, please check if a new add-in showing a Ribbon button (with no other code) works correctly.

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 06:07:56 Top
David Heffernan

Yes that's what I'm saying. So I did what you suggested. I created a brand new add in project following the steps outlined in the documentation. I added an empty ribbon tab. I think compiled and registered. Note that I am building a 64 bit add-in because I have Excel 64 bit installed.

The ribbon tab shows up fine in Excel 2010. When I try the same in Excel 2013 I can see the ribbon tab, but Excel immediately dies with the "Excel has stopped working" dialog.

So I guess we need to sort this out first of all before we can get on to my real problem.

Do you need any more from me than the description above? Would you like me to upload my simple test project?
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 06:54:43 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

David Heffernan writes:
Would you like me to upload my simple test project?

Yes, please let me download it or just send it to the support email address (see readme.txt). Please make sure that your email contains a link to this topic. Also, please send me a screenshot of the dialog.

Are there related entries in system logs?

Check if PERSONAL.XLSB or any other Excel file in the XLSTART folder causes the issue. I'd just rename the extension of such a file e.g. *.XLSB --> *.XLSB0. On Windows 7 the XLSTART folder is located in C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\.

Is the issue reproducible if you turn all other COM Add-ins and Excel Add-ins off?

Andrei Smolin
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 07:30:25 Top
David Heffernan

OK, I've e-mailed you a simple project. I can reproduce the crash in Excel 2010 also. I'm going to see how older versions of ADX fare.
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 09:59:21 Top
David Heffernan

OK, I just took that project and built in in XE2. That's all I changed. So I'm still using the latest ADX. And I had no problem. The add-in worked fine, and there were no Excel crashes.

So it looks like an XE3 64 bit issue. Note that I have the original XE3 and have not installed update 1. That's the next thing for me to try, but I can't do that right away.
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 10:03:12 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

David Heffernan writes:
Note that I have the original XE3 and have not installed update 1.

If you have XE2, then Update 4 Hotfix 1 must be installed. If you have XE 3, installing Update 1 is a must.

Thank you for sending the stack trace! It looks like the problem is caused by missing updates.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 10:21:42 Top
David Heffernan

Thank you. That's my next step then. I have a machine at home with XE3 update 1. I'll try that out next.

Do you know any details of the XE3 issue that causes the problem? Do you have a QC ref?
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 10:33:37 Top
David Heffernan

Well, I tested on my machine with XE3 up1 and it's all good. My add-in works great in Excel 2013, built with XE3.

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry for the slight wild-goose chase.

I must also say that ADX is a truly superb piece of software. Great work!!
Posted 03 Jan, 2013 12:30:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Thank you, David!

The QC report is at http://qc.embarcadero.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=109377.

Andrei Smolin
Posted 04 Jan, 2013 05:12:02 Top