Office Add-in deployment for corporate environments

Add-in Express™ Support Service
That's what is more important than anything else

Office Add-in deployment for corporate environments

Daniel Triendl

I'm currently using InnoSetup to create the installer for my VCL Office Add-in. The Add-in is installed per machine (RegisterForAllUsers=true).

Some of my customers want to use a MSI file to automatically deploy the Add-in for all their users. What is the best practice for creating an MSI package, what changed do I need to make to my Add-in to allow automatic deployment (I guess RegisterForAllUsers doesn't work in this case)? And what can I use to create an MSI package? Visual Studio, WIX, etc?
Posted 18 Sep, 2012 03:41:36 Top
Andrei Smolin

Add-in Express team

Hello Daniel,

You can use any installation software to create an .MSI installable via group policy. Yes, we recommend installing the add-in with RegisterForAllUsers=false in this case. Why? Because it will be quite easy for an administrator to refine the installation rule(s) e.g. "do not install the add-in for this and that user group(s)". Otherwise, with RegisterForAllUsers=true, you'll have to invent some machinery for unloading your add-in for the same user group(s).

See also HowTo: Install a COM add-in automatically using Windows Server Group Policy:

http://www.add-in-express.com/creating-addins-blog/2009/01/25/automatic-installation-windows-group-policy/

Andrei Smolin
Add-in Express Team Leader
Posted 18 Sep, 2012 05:33:51 Top